• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rate the Last Movie U Watched
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

RE: Rate the Last Movie U Watched
The Company You Keep 7.3/10

[Image: GJ8Hf7r.jpg]
08-02-2014 05:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
awiddershinlife Offline
ʤǣɳɚʔ

Mary & Max. A highly detailed claymation film that touches on issues of marginalization such as curing autism, being gay, bullying, acceptance, forgiveness, etc.

Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in awhile, or the light won't come in (Alan Alda).
08-03-2014 04:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(08-03-2014 04:05 AM)awiddershinlife Wrote:  Mary & Max. A highly detailed claymation film that touches on issues of marginalization such as curing autism, being gay, bullying, acceptance, forgiveness, etc.

I love that movie. Every time I watch it, I think there must have been an aspie involved in making it.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
08-03-2014 04:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
awiddershinlife Offline
ʤǣɳɚʔ

(08-03-2014 04:30 AM)d_olson27 Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 04:05 AM)awiddershinlife Wrote:  Mary & Max. A highly detailed claymation film that touches on issues of marginalization such as curing autism, being gay, bullying, acceptance, forgiveness, etc.

I love that movie. Every time I watch it, I think there must have been an aspie involved in making it.

Max is based on my real penfriend in New York, who I’ve been writing to for over 20 years. He inspired me to write the script. He’s got Asperger’s, he’s Jewish and he’s in Overeaters Anonymous, so I haven’t changed much about his life in the film, Elliot said.

Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in awhile, or the light won't come in (Alan Alda).
08-03-2014 04:45 AM
Some_Bloke
Unregistered

Dawn of the Planet Of The Apes- 9.5/10

I'm not really a big fan of CGI because in some films the rely too much on it. In this case, although they do rely on it a hell of a lot, the quality of the effects and the way they are used is fantastic.

Enough about the effects, how does it stand as a film? Well, the story is actually pretty well written and I can only point out one actor who's acting was poor (he overdid it a little bit on the "being the asshole" role). There wasn't any "shakycam" (I hate that effect).

I went into this film also thinking that it would have a strong anti-human message (as in the trailers you can see humans killing apes). It surprisingly had quite the opposite. Sure, there are a few human characters who are assholes but there was only one I didn't sympathize with (that being the guy I mentioned above). Gary Oldman's character, who I thought was going to be the villain of the film was a sympathetic portrayal. I saw a guy who'd been through hell.

The apes were portrayed as both threatening and sympathetic. Caesar isn't the only character on the ape's side who you're meant to connect with. In fact, of all the apes who weren't basically GCI extras, there was only one I didn't connect with. But that is intentional.
08-03-2014 07:36 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

^ Seeing the trailer for that one was enough. Typical modern-day film, long on shouting and violence, short on drama, acting and intellect.

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
08-04-2014 02:33 AM
skyblue1 Offline
Administrator

Lone Survivor 10/10

I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.
08-06-2014 07:59 PM
Some_Bloke
Unregistered

(08-04-2014 02:33 AM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  ^ Seeing the trailer for that one was enough. Typical modern-day film, long on shouting and violence, short on drama, acting and intellect.

It's actually got some good acting, drama and...While some of the characters are pretty stupid it's not a dumb action movie.

There isn't really any action in it until the 3rd act.

So don't judge a film completely by it's trailer. I have critics for that and even then sometimes they've been completely wrong.
08-06-2014 10:14 PM
Quote this message in a reply
LanguageWolf Offline
Official worst sjw stereotype

The Sacred Star of Milos. Okay, so I finally finished it.

First of all, it touches on several themes that the Animé series cover more subtly and adeptly. That's pretty much all of them. There was an overreliance on action scenes that got to be annoying after a while, and while the Animé series do some explaining of their alchemical theory, the movie didn't really do that. Also, Alphonse totally washed his blood seal right off. Ridiculous.

The idea of a three-dimensional transmutation circle was...interesting. Considering that a circle by definition never has more than two dimensions, or else it becomes a cylinder. But that might be an issue with translation.

So, ultimately 6.5/10 for some cutesy stuff, plus the action scenes were cool just OMFG SO MANY OF THEM.

"I am going to make trolling great again!"
"Well, I think trolling is already great!"
"TROLLING WAS NEVER GREAT OMFG"
08-07-2014 03:57 AM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

Sliding Doors.

Clever romantic comedy that succeeds despite numerous continuity errors (if you know your way around London by Tube, you soon notice that the timeline of the characters' journeys makes no sense, given where supposedly consecutive scenes are actually filmed).

Also, the ending is nonsense. The two characters who are fated to meet are on the same floor of the hospital - she being treated, he visiting his mother just along the corridor (we've seen a tracking shot from one room to the other only a few minutes earlier). She recovers and leaves....when the lift opens to take her down to the ground floor, he's already in it, coming down from a higher floor. What was he doing up there? His mother's on THE SAME FLOOR as the other woman!

Despite that, some clever bits, and a good performance by Gwyneth Paltrow, English accent included.

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
08-07-2014 05:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)