Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Measles Outbreak
skyblue1 Offline
Administrator

Measles Outbreak
Health officials in Washington have declared a state of emergency and are urging immunization as they scramble to contain a measles outbreak in two counties, while the number of cases of the potentially deadly virus continues to climb in a region with lower than normal vaccination rates.

Washington Department of Health officials announced that as of Monday afternoon there have been 36 confirmed cases and 11 suspected cases of the disease. That is a significant increase from Friday's reported numbers when Gov. Jay Inslee declared a state of emergency. At the time there were 26 confirmed measles cases.

In Friday's statement, Inslee said, "Measles is a highly contagious infectious disease that can be fatal in small children. The existence of 26 confirmed cases in the state of Washington creates an extreme public health risk that may quickly spread to other counties."

Since then nine new cases have been confirmed, all in Clark County, which borders Portland, Ore., creating concern in that state as well.

Washington state epidemiologist Scott Lindquist told NPR's Patti Neighmond this is likely only the beginning of the epidemic since many of the families with infected children traveled to very public places, including Costco, Ikea, the Portland International Airport and the arena where the Trail Blazers play.

Lindquist added that officials are particularly concerned that "folks that are immuno-compromised — pregnant women, young kids and those that are unvaccinated — could be at risk for this disease" without realizing it because the telltale measles rash might not appear for four days into the sickness. As a result, people may not know they are carrying the disease and could easily unwittingly expose others to the extremely contagious virus.

Measles virus travels through the air. It can be contracted without even being near a person with the virus because it lingers for up to two hours in the air of a room where a person with the measles has been. It can cause serious complications, including pneumonia and encephalitis, and can be deadly. Inslee notes, "Almost everyone who is not immune will get measles if they are exposed."

Clark County Public Health has identified 35 confirmed cases and 11 suspected cases since Jan. 1, when it first began investigating the outbreak. In all but four instances, the person who had contracted the disease had not been immunized. In the remaining cases, authorities had not yet verified their immunization status.

The majority of those infected were children, with 25 of the 35 confirmed cases impacting children under 10 years old.

more:
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/28/689549375...eak-contin

I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.
01-29-2019 10:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Captain Jigglypuff Offline
Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!

RE: Measles Outbreak
This is completely the fault of that bimbo Jenny McCarthy and anti-vaxxers. They are a menace to public safety. Thirty years ago diseases like the measles were extremely rare in kids and we never got seriously ill. Now these same diseases are back all because of parents that have this selfish notion that autism is bad and don’t care about the harm they are causing! I’d like to gather up all these parents and tie them up and spray them with a fire hose until they all admit what horrible people and parents they are. Any parent whose kids die from preventable diseases and weren’t vaccinated out of fear of autism will never get my sympathy and I believe such parents got what they deserved and don’t deserve to have any more kids since they failed on all levels of parenting.

Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck in a sewer.
Helga: Gee I don't know. When you think about it is there no sewer BIGGER than the world of professional modelling?
˜The Oblongs

[Image: rarity-press-b_o_591315.jpg]
01-30-2019 03:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
elder

Not all vaccines worked. My parents had me vaccinated for everything required for school. I still got measles when I was 15. I got very sick. You can’t blame my parents or me for that. There could still be people walking around who had vaccines that were ineffective.
01-30-2019 03:17 AM
Captain Jigglypuff Offline
Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!

(01-30-2019 03:17 AM)MM Wrote:  Not all vaccines worked. My parents had me vaccinated for everything required for school. I still got measles when I was 15. I got very sick. You can’t blame my parents or me for that. There could still be people walking around who had vaccines that were ineffective.

I blame only parents who refuse to vaccinate their kids.

Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck in a sewer.
Helga: Gee I don't know. When you think about it is there no sewer BIGGER than the world of professional modelling?
˜The Oblongs

[Image: rarity-press-b_o_591315.jpg]
01-30-2019 03:27 AM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

(01-30-2019 03:17 AM)MM Wrote:  Not all vaccines worked. My parents had me vaccinated for everything required for school. I still got measles when I was 15. I got very sick. You can’t blame my parents or me for that. There could still be people walking around who had vaccines that were ineffective.

But if most vaccinations work, then there is herd immunity.

Think of it like this. If there are 100 kids and 2 were vaccinated but it didn't work, and 2 more could not be vaccinated for medical reasons, then you have 96 who were vaccinated. It is difficult for an outbreak to occur that would spread from child to child.

If you had the same 100 children and in addition to the 4 already mentioned there are 40 children who were not vaccinated because their parents were afraid that their children would catch autism. Then that puts all 44 unvaccinated kids at risk of an outbreak. Including newborns and kids who were too sick to be vaccinated in the first place. If a newborn died as a result..... whose fault is it?
01-30-2019 07:56 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

I remember you saying in the past that you got chicken pox twice, which tells me that your immune system doesn't work the way its supposed to. That means you're one of the people who benefits from everyone else being vaccinated, because that prevents diseases from moving through the population and getting to you.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
01-31-2019 12:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
elder

Yes I would benefit from people getting vaccines.

I heard if a kid gets a chicken pox vaccine then they shed virus for a few weeks and other people can get chicken pox from them. How many vaccines work that way?
01-31-2019 06:24 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(01-31-2019 06:24 AM)MM Wrote:  Yes I would benefit from people getting vaccines.

I heard if a kid gets a chicken pox vaccine then they shed virus for a few weeks and other people can get chicken pox from them. How many vaccines work that way?

As far as I'm aware, the polio vaccine was the only one that people ever caught the disease from, which happened because the vaccine was rushed and not made correctly.

Normally, you might experience some symptoms after being vaccinated, which is simply just your immune system reacting to the virus, but the virus is in such a weakened state that you can't actually catch the disease from it. That also means that other people can't catch it from you after you've been vaccinated.

Short answer, no vaccines work that way, including the chicken pox vaccine. I think you've been misinformed.

01-31-2019 12:26 PM
MM Offline
elder

Chicken pox is an attenuated live virus vaccine.

I know that vaccine manufacturing is the most scructinized of all but I have to wonder.
02-01-2019 12:06 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

I would encourage you to look at the peer-reviewed material about it. It might be difficult to understand, and you'll probably have to look at other papers that are being referenced, but with a little work, you'll be much better informed as to why vaccine manufacturers do some of the things they do and what kinds of risks are involved.

02-01-2019 08:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: