Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Hello World!
This is a sample MyBB Plugin (which can be disabled!) that displays this message on all pages.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Urban Myths
Unregistered

Video Urban Myths
Hello world!

Urban Myths are a lot like conspiracies, and almost as interesting.

I'll start with one that was doing the rounds when I was in high school, and which I've heard a number of times over the years. About the guy who channelled to his own bank account all of the amounts less than 0.5 cents that were dropped from interest calculations due to rounding. So if your monthly interest (they only calculated monthly in those days) was 53.4 cents, you got 53 cents and he got 0.4 cents.

Intuitively it sounds like something you'd be able to get away with. Unfortunately the processes involved simply don't work that way. Although if you were going to defraud a bank by doctoring the computer system, doing it by paying yourself extra interest is about the only way you'd be able to get away with it. If you tried, for example, generating a deposit or simply bumping up your balance it should pop up on the reconciliation reports right away.

Good accounting procedures should still catch you out, although I did once work at a bank where an account holder with $3K in his account was accidentally paid US$800,000 interest in one hit (due to a bug, an uninitialised parameter) and nobody noticed for a couple of months. They didn't have good accounting procedures at that bank.
04-10-2015 12:13 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser
Unregistered

RE: Urban Myths
Hello world!

It has been said for years, including in reputable popular music magazines, that Linda McCartney, nee Eastman, was part of the Eastman photographic film dynasty.

She wasn't.
04-10-2015 05:33 PM
Unregistered

Hello world!

Some people still believe that Paul McCartney died in 1966, and that his look-alike replacement assumed his identity to this day. That is as much conspiracy theory as urban legend though.
04-10-2015 07:12 PM
Captain Jigglypuff
Unregistered

Hello world!

There has been an urban myth that has been going around since the 80s that if you get a defective Cabage Patch doll, you'll get a death certificate.
04-10-2015 07:18 PM
Timelord Offline
Autistic Activist

Hello world!

(04-10-2015 07:12 PM)142857 Wrote:  Some people still believe that Paul McCartney died in 1966, and that his look-alike replacement assumed his identity to this day. That is as much conspiracy theory as urban legend though.

Yeah that one was reflected in the urban myth that if someone is pictured in bare feet, they've died. McCartney was pictured in bare feet on the cover of The Beatles album Abbey Road.

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE YOURSELF AND NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM YOU
Anti Vaxxers beware - Your Time Is Up!
04-10-2015 09:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
d_olson27
Unregistered

Hello world!

(04-10-2015 09:05 PM)Timelord Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 07:12 PM)142857 Wrote:  Some people still believe that Paul McCartney died in 1966, and that his look-alike replacement assumed his identity to this day. That is as much conspiracy theory as urban legend though.

Yeah that one was reflected in the urban myth that if someone is pictured in bare feet, they've died. McCartney was pictured in bare feet on the cover of The Beatles album Abbey Road.

There's a lot more to that one than just that. The belief that Paul McCartney had died was around for a few years before Abby Road came out.
04-10-2015 10:34 PM
Luke Mauser
Unregistered

Hello world!

^ Yes, part of the 'evidence' was that his shoulder-tag on the inner sleeve of Sgt Pepper says OPD, which was deemed to stand for Officially Pronounced Dead.

Actually it came from a second hand uniform from the Ontario Police Department.
04-11-2015 12:07 AM
M Offline
elder

Hello world!

Must be Ontario, California. ? In Ontario, Canada the officlal police is OPP: Ontario Provincial Police.

I really cringe when I hear old Paul McCartney and Wings songs. I really hate those songs.
04-11-2015 09:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser
Unregistered

Hello world!

Apparently it actually WAS 'OPP', from the Canadian Police. People misread it as 'OPD'; it does look like that, as the final letter distorts as it goes round the curve of his arm.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/features/paul-is-dead/2/

Band on the Run is a superb album. A lot of Wings stuff is cringeworthy, though. Tweeness trying to be toughness.
04-12-2015 06:38 PM
Unregistered

Hello world!

They WANTED it to look like OPD.
04-12-2015 08:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)