Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Hello World!
This is a sample MyBB Plugin (which can be disabled!) that displays this message on all pages.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Watching the Wildlife
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

Watching the Wildlife
Hello world!

Does anyone else here like to go outside just to watch wildlife?

When I was a kid I hated sports. I went out just to watch wildlife instead.

In the summer, chickadees visit my area. Chickadees are technically living dinosaurs. Isn't that great?

Salamanders also visit my place in the summer. Salamanders are tetrapods but they are not amniotes. Their similarity to lizards is a result of convergent evolution.
01-01-2016 07:27 AM
Quote this message in a reply
M Offline
elder

RE: Watching the Wildlife
Hello world!

I like outside.

I walk the dogs outside. They sniff everything. Exploring the world through smell is their natural interest.

I like watching squirrels.

I also love to look at trees. I love trees and I would not like a place to live where there are no trees.

Waterfalls or rivers or waves are also good to look at. I like watching a campfire but that opportunity is rare for me.

Seeing the stars at night one has to go far outside the city.
01-02-2016 12:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

Hello world!

BUMP

This thread is now about nature videos.

07-05-2016 03:48 PM
Unregistered

Hello world!

We live right next to the bush, or forest.

We don't have much in the way of large animals. There are feral foxes around, but they are quite stealthy and we don't see them very often. We used to have a lot of rabbits but the calicivirus wiped them out around 20 years ago. There are also rock wallabies (like kangaroos, but smaller) and possums.

Then there is the scary wildlife. There are bulldog ants:
[Image: paraponera.jpg]

Bulldog ants are a large, primitive ant that is best described as a wasp with its wings torn off.

Brown snakes, the second deadliest snakes in the world, are common but mostly they kill dogs which make the mistake of taking one on. I've never actually seen one (touch wood).

We get a few redback spiders, we've had them build nests in the kitchen and I nearly got bitten by one a few months ago that was on a log I was carrying. On the following list they are ranked second deadliest spider in the world, which surprises me (though I did expect them to make the top 10). I'm pretty sure I'd rather be bitten by a redback than by a Brazilian Wandering Spider.
https://www.britannica.com/list/9-of-the...st-spiders

Funnel web spiders are common in Sydney as well, and our local variety is the most venomous spider in the country. I haven't encountered around our house, but when I was a teenager I used to regularly scoop them off the bottom of our swimming pool. They can live underwater for at least 24 hours, some people make the mistake of seeing one at the bottom of the pool and thinking it is dead. Funnel web spiders are scary because they are super poisonous, have huge fangs, are aggressive and will attack rather than try to run away, and they are very hard to kill. You can step on them and all it does is piss them off.

We have some of the most colourful birds in the world visiting our backyard every day. Here are a couple:
Rainbow lorikeets:
[Image: P043090068Bq-660.jpg]

Eastern Rosellas:
[Image: 2499168562_8a3ea53b5b_b.jpg]

Crimson Rosellas:
[Image: 15204306490_62b433a79b_b.jpg]

King Parrots:
[Image: 6311784492_f835ae5a32_b.jpg]
07-05-2016 07:08 PM
Max000
Unregistered

Hello world!

I don’t have to even go outside. I can sometimes see it from my window.

[Image: ZUFPCS8.jpg]

[Image: nz3jVq4.jpg]
07-05-2016 11:31 PM
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

Hello world!

Just Another Typical Day in Canada Big Grin

07-06-2016 07:30 AM
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

Hello world!

It was Charles Darwin who originally theorized that the peacock evolved its tail to attract mates. This idea was considered scandalous back then because Victorian men didn't like the idea of women choosing their own mates - even female animals.

Mercy, how times have changed.
11-01-2016 09:23 AM
d_olson27
Unregistered

Hello world!

(11-01-2016 09:23 AM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  It was Charles Darwin who originally theorized that the peacock evolved its tail to attract mates. This idea was considered scandalous back then because Victorian men didn't like the idea of women choosing their own mates - even female animals.

Mercy, how times have changed.

It's kind of funny, because human males will do an awful lot to try to impress potential mates too.
11-01-2016 11:39 AM
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

Hello world!

(11-01-2016 11:39 AM)d_olson27 Wrote:  It's kind of funny, because human males will do an awful lot to try to impress potential mates too.

The days of arranged marriage are over.

And now for something completely different.

That music reminds me of Super Mario Sunshine.

I've read about human evolution too. We didn't leave the trees. The trees left us. Australopithecines evolved when parts of the Congo rainforest dried up into savanna.
11-01-2016 11:54 AM
d_olson27
Unregistered

Hello world!

(11-01-2016 11:54 AM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 11:39 AM)d_olson27 Wrote:  It's kind of funny, because human males will do an awful lot to try to impress potential mates too.

The days of arranged marriage are over.

First of all, no they aren't. Second, that doesn't have anything to do with what we were talking about.
11-01-2016 12:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)