Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Random Adventures and Misadventures of Kids
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

Random Adventures and Misadventures of Kids
I thought that a thread for random stuff about kids might be handy.

This morning I overslept. Stayed up late watching the Australia vs. England in the cricket. Couldn't sleep anyway.

My son is supposed to start school at 9am. I woke up at 9am. I could hear my son animatedly talking to himself in the living room, playing with his toy cars. When he does that he sounds like a voiceover on "Australia's Most Wanted" or "World's Worst Drivers" or "Air Crash Investigation". The same pauses, the same emphasis, the same clinical seriousness.

Of course, skipping the shower and getting him ready should only take a few minutes. But, no matter how late we are, there is no hurrying my son. Getting ready for school is a glacial process.

So I ended up forgetting to give him his ADHD medication. Since he didn't take it on the weekend, as I dropped him at school I was thinking that the teachers were going to wonder what the heck had happened.

After school he wanted to go straight to the library. Some slightly older kids from his school go to the library and play on the computers every afternoon, and my son gets along really well with them. He loves to watch them play, gives them some unsolicited advice, and occasionally has a go on the computers himself (although he is too willing to share, won't hold his ground if another kid says they want to use his computer, so he usually gets his turn after they go home).

Anyway, I dropped him at the library and then went home to have a shower, and when I got back to the library to check on him... he wasn't there.

I quickly spotted him, way down between the aisles of books, pushing his chair back towards the computers. I asked him what he was doing. He said "James just pushed my chair all the way to the other end of the library with me on it". I asked him if he was being annoying. He grinned and said "yes!".

I think I need a post-it note on the front door so that I don't forget in future.
09-09-2013 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alison Offline
Respected senior member

RE: Random Adventures and Misadventures of Kids
LOL! I love what kids get up to. We had Constable Kenny Koala visit us at preschool today (he's a puppet voiced by a gravelly-voiced real-life policeman who I've got to know reasonably well over the years he's been visiting preschools). Anyway, the kids love him and he talked about stranger danger and what to do if you get lost, how to give your name to a policeman if you are lost, etc. One question was how to give your mum and dad's names so that the police would know who to contact. Most kids in my class know their second names, but were a bit shaky on the whole mum and dad nomenclature thing. A few just said confidently, "Mummy/Daddy". But one child, who has parents going through a nasty divorce, says that his daddy is "that effin' bastard" and that mummy's name is "that friggin' bi*tch." Poor little begger.

We went into lockdown today. During rest time the alarm went off and (we were told later) that a man involved in a custody dispute was wandering about the grounds trying to snatch his daughter. The police were called, and we herded the children into a "safe room" that wouldn't keep out a determined kitten, after locking all the doors, pulling the blinds and while we were all sitting there in the dark (hot and smelly, children do get whifferama in closed spaces) we took roll call. With about six little girls clinging to my legs and all the little boys trying to make guns out of Leggo and wanting to go shoot the stranger.

Anyway the police arrived, the guy took off and we went back to our regularly scheduled programme. But I sort of wish Constable Kenny had struck around a bit longer: it may have given the intruder pause if he'd seen the police car out the front.

That's only the second time I've gone into lockdown in my career. The first one was when there was a man in a car with a rifle threatening to shoot himself just up the street from our preschool. The police ended up shooting and killing him. We went into lockdown that day as well, just in case.

Sign on a farm gate: "For sale - Weak old chickens going cheep".
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 08:05 PM by Alison.)
09-09-2013 08:01 PM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

Yesterday my son got home from school, first day of 2nd term, and he was all excited "mummy mummy I've got homework". My wife was surprised as he never has any interest in homework.

It turned out that the homework was to watch 5 movies and he was keen to get started right away. He watched Memphis Belle, about a US bomber (aircraft) in WW2.

By the time I got home he had finished watching it and he was so excited to tell me about the parts of the movie he felt were inaccurate.

I've got another excellent WW2 movie on a thumbdrive which I'll get him to watch on the weekend. Hacksaw Ridge. It is very graphic and might tone down his excessive enthusiasm for war. Or maybe not.
05-02-2018 08:53 PM
Ana54 Offline
Make a difference, not a mess.

Lars, in a failed effort to annoy me while misbehaving in other ways that made his father mad, came to me with his teddy bear, Charity, and said in a tattling kind of voice, "Charity went to the bathroom... look, she's wet down there." He had put water on the bear's underside.

I'm sentimental if you know what I mean.
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
-Leonard Cohen

My tactless tasteless timeless true international incident instigation initiative
10-05-2018 06:01 PM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

The lego is out of storage for the school holidays and my son is spending hours on his lego projects. I can get him to go to bed around midnight but then he wants to read novels for a couple of hours.

He is 13 and a half years old now. Hard to tell how tall he will be, tall enough though. I guess 6 feet plus, which is plenty. He is about 5'7" now. Boys in our family are prone to late growth spurts. I was the odd one out, I was pretty much done growing by the time I was 14.
10-05-2018 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)