Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What made you want to throw a brick at the TV today
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

RE: What made you want to throw a brick at the TV today
Yes, I am very familiar with Kilar's work. I have two or three of his film soundtracks, most notably his work for the otherwise execrable "Bram Stoker's Dracula", and some of his earlier choral works.

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
01-04-2014 01:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

The presenter on BBC Radio 6 Music (I was accessing it through digital TV), who said "If any of you out there are still trying to make a new year's resolution, I recommend you decide to set up a band".

Yeah, cos we want even more talentless idiots thinking they are God's gift to music and making a dreadful noise, don't we?

She then went on to invoke the 'wisdom' of Lou Reed, who apparently said that if you've got problems in your life you should use music to solve them, and that music can be therapeutic in a way that other things aren't, blah blah blah vomit.

All well and good if you intend to restrict your music-making activities to the privacy of your own home. Not so good if you expect an audience to tolerate your self-indulgent cathartic garbage.

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
01-05-2014 10:07 PM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(01-05-2014 10:07 PM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  The presenter on BBC Radio 6 Music (I was accessing it through digital TV), who said "If any of you out there are still trying to make a new year's resolution, I recommend you decide to set up a band".

Yeah, cos we want even more talentless idiots thinking they are God's gift to music and making a dreadful noise, don't we?

She then went on to invoke the 'wisdom' of Lou Reed, who apparently said that if you've got problems in your life you should use music to solve them, and that music can be therapeutic in a way that other things aren't, blah blah blah vomit.

All well and good if you intend to restrict your music-making activities to the privacy of your own home. Not so good if you expect an audience to tolerate your self-indulgent cathartic garbage.

If no one wants to listen to your music, people will stop booking your band to perform. That problem pretty much solves itself.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
01-06-2014 03:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

Yes. My point was that she (and, if she's to be believed, Lou Reed) seems to have no idea as to what music is actually for, or the fact that being good at it starts with learning how it's 'done', not with forming a band.

01-06-2014 04:07 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(01-06-2014 04:07 AM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  Yes. My point was that she (and, if she's to be believed, Lou Reed) seems to have no idea as to what music is actually for, or the fact that being good at it starts with learning how it's 'done', not with forming a band.

Is learning how to play not implied as part of the process?

Wait. Don't answer that.

Learning how to play is implied as part of the process.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
01-06-2014 04:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skyblue1 Offline
Janitor Deluxe

weather...

I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.
01-06-2014 04:48 AM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

(01-06-2014 04:19 AM)d_olson27 Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 04:07 AM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  Yes. My point was that she (and, if she's to be believed, Lou Reed) seems to have no idea as to what music is actually for, or the fact that being good at it starts with learning how it's 'done', not with forming a band.

Is learning how to play not implied as part of the process?

Wait. Don't answer that.

Learning how to play is implied as part of the process.

Not judging by a lot of bands I've heard…...

01-07-2014 02:52 AM
LanguageWolf Offline
Should we believe that you love peace?

I haven't even turned the damn thing on in days. I keep reading this thread, lol

"I am going to make trolling great again!"
"Well, I think trolling is already great!"
"TROLLING WAS NEVER GREAT OMFG"
01-07-2014 09:21 AM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

A documentary about Lionel Bart, who 'wrote' (of which more later) "Oliver".

In one scene, there was a guy teaching the song "As Long as He Needs Me" to a bunch of teenage girls. When it got to the key change into the last verse, he started talking about how clever Lionel bart was for doing this, cos it goes up three semitones and not many songs do that.

Well, actually, if you're going to work in musical theatre, you should be aware that Lionel Bart wasn't at all clever in doing that..cos it wasn't him!!!!
Lionel Bart had no musical training, and his musical input to the songs extended no further than making up some melodies, which were then transcribed, harmonised, modified, developed and arranged by Eric Rogers. It was him, not Lionel Bart, who did the key change. Lionel Bart didn't even understand what a 'key' was!

01-08-2014 08:57 PM
Some_Bloke
Unregistered

The stupidity and incompetence of Northern Ireland politicians.
01-08-2014 08:58 PM
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)