Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Hello World!
This is a sample MyBB Plugin (which can be disabled!) that displays this message on all pages.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gaming is the Opiate of the Autistic Community
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

Gaming is the Opiate of the Autistic Community
Hello world!

Hi everyone. This thread may end up being controversial but I don't care. I have never cared.

As many of you know, I frequently spend some time with a bunch of guys who I call "The Game Bros". We've done some fun stuff in the past ... but lately the fun is wearing off. Playing vidya games with the boyoz just doesn't have the magic that it once had. Perhaps I'm just growing up ... but it's probably more complex than that.

Latley, autism rights has been on my mind more than ever before. I've been analyzing my memories in a new way. Large parts of my life that seemed chaotic now make sense though a neurodiversity lens. I'm increasingly realizing that my main purpose in the world is to fight for autism rights. My life is nearly meaningless without the autistic community.

I've tried talking to the gamebroz about this. They give me awkward silence and then go back to their games.

Let's face it: The autistic community is currently in shambles. Some autistics are persistently looking for a cure even though "curing" unique neurological structure is absurd. Autistic people are 28 times more likely to commit suicide compared to ordinary people. Many people with autism (such as myself) need to work due to familial pressures. There are some lucky autistics who can just live off welfare because their families allow this sort of behavior ... but even these autistics have problems that drag down the rest of the autistic community. Many jobless autistics descend into fantasy land and never ascend back to reality. In other words, many jobless autistics will spend their adult life obsessing over anime and video games.

I'm not saying that video games are inherently bad. I'm just getting sick and tired of "hardcore gamers" who have devoted most of their free time to this activity. It's sad. It's a big waste of human potential.

All this reminds me of the teachings of Karl Marx. Marx famously stated that religion is the "opiate of the masses". In other words, religion makes the oppressed people happy ... but it also prevents them from rebelling. I've done some thinking and I've realized that nearly every oppressed group in the world has its own "opiates" that lead to self-sabotage.

Hardcore gaming is the main opiate of the autistic community at this point in history. When autistic people obsess over their gaming speedruns, they forget about ableism. This sounds nice but it actually isn't. We need to accept that ableism is a huge problem in our society if we want to end it.

For a long time, I have been a very casual gamer. Now I feel like I'm going one step further. I'm becoming apathetic towards video games in general. I have plenty of good gaming memories. I remember defeating the Shadow Queen in the Palace of Shadow. I recall defeating Zero 2 in the Dark Star after collecting all the Crystal Shards. I recall defeating Dark Samus in Phaaze. Those were some good times. Unfortunately, the protagonists from those games have nothing to say regarding autism rights and so I most move on without them. Only the autistic community can help me now ... and quite a few people in the community don't seem to give a Goomba's ass.

Rant over.
07-06-2016 03:46 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser
Unregistered

RE: Gaming is the Opiate of the Autistic Community
Hello world!

Quite true.

Sport has much the same function (not surprising as that's 'gaming' in a way as well).

Your quote is a tad wrong. Marx wrote "opium des Volkes"; opium (not opiate) of the people (not the masses).

In full, it reads as follows (in English):

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people".
07-07-2016 04:11 AM
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

Hello world!

Sports confuse me too. Why do so many people care so much about something so trivial?
07-07-2016 04:16 AM
JWB Offline
Can I get a "Bright not broken?"

Hello world!

(07-07-2016 04:16 AM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  Sports confuse me too. Why do so many people care so much about something so trivial?

Are sports really more trivial than silly video games? It's something fun to watch. Yes, you can overdo sports, but that's true of all things. Just like almost anything, sports are all right in moderation.

"Some prisoners spent more than ten years buried in solitary cells the size of coffins, hearing nothing but clanging bars or footsteps in the corridors. They survived because they could talk to each other by tapping on the wall. In that way, they told of dreams, memories, and fallings in and out of love; they discussed, embraced, and fought; they shared beliefs, beauties, doubts, guilts and those questions that have no answers.
When it is genuine, when it is born of the need to speak, no one can stop the human voice. When it is denied a mouth, it speaks with the hands, the eyes, the pores, or anything at all because every single one of us has something to say to the others, something that deserves to be celebrated or forgiven by others."-Eduardo Galeano
07-07-2016 07:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Some_Bloke
Unregistered

Hello world!

(07-07-2016 07:27 AM)JWB Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 04:16 AM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  Sports confuse me too. Why do so many people care so much about something so trivial?

Are sports really more trivial than silly video games?

Yes.

Quote:It's something fun to watch.

Watching a bunch of overpaid tossers kick a ball about is a lot more fun than actually doing something you have some control over, right?
07-07-2016 08:09 AM
LanguageWolf
Unregistered

Hello world!

Nothing ever really happens in sports. Some people kick a ball around or sometimes they throw it around but that's it. Sure, you can add all kinds of complicated rules to make it less boring, but "less boring" isn't the same as "interesting." It's still just the same thing happening over and over.
07-07-2016 03:22 PM
LanguageWolf
Unregistered

Hello world!

by the way, I react the same way to people who do "professional videogames." Yeah, i'll play, but why on earth would I sit and watch a bunch of rich adolescents cuss at each other?
07-07-2016 03:24 PM
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

Hello world!

(07-07-2016 03:24 PM)LanguageWolf Wrote:  by the way, I react the same way to people who do "professional videogames." Yeah, i'll play, but why on earth would I sit and watch a bunch of rich adolescents cuss at each other?

Only one good thing came out of the professional gaming community.
Still One of the Best Memes Ever
07-07-2016 03:44 PM
LanguageWolf
Unregistered

Hello world!

Really? You think that's better than Leroy Jenkins?
07-07-2016 04:35 PM
JWB Offline
Can I get a "Bright not broken?"

Hello world!

(07-07-2016 08:09 AM)Some_Bloke Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 07:27 AM)JWB Wrote:  

Are sports really more trivial than silly video games?

Yes.

How so?

"Some prisoners spent more than ten years buried in solitary cells the size of coffins, hearing nothing but clanging bars or footsteps in the corridors. They survived because they could talk to each other by tapping on the wall. In that way, they told of dreams, memories, and fallings in and out of love; they discussed, embraced, and fought; they shared beliefs, beauties, doubts, guilts and those questions that have no answers.
When it is genuine, when it is born of the need to speak, no one can stop the human voice. When it is denied a mouth, it speaks with the hands, the eyes, the pores, or anything at all because every single one of us has something to say to the others, something that deserves to be celebrated or forgiven by others."-Eduardo Galeano
07-08-2016 04:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)