Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
The Angry Thread
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

RE: The Angry Thread
(02-20-2018 12:38 PM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  I hate it when people claim that the Middle East is part of Africa.

The Middle East is only connected to Africa by a tiny strip of land. It's actually part of Asia.

It depends a lot on who you ask. It's almost equally justified to say that the Middle East is part of Asia, Africa, and Europe. There are parts of it that are generally agreed to be part of each continent.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
02-20-2018 02:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HammerBioLizard Offline
Unapologetic Liberal

(02-20-2018 02:01 PM)d_olson27 Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 12:38 PM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  I hate it when people claim that the Middle East is part of Africa.

The Middle East is only connected to Africa by a tiny strip of land. It's actually part of Asia.

It depends a lot on who you ask. It's almost equally justified to say that the Middle East is part of Asia, Africa, and Europe. There are parts of it that are generally agreed to be part of each continent.

Nope.

Egypt isn't a part of the Middle East. It's a part of northern Africa.

Turkey isn't a part of the Middle East either. Turkey is the near east.

"I am a citizen of the world."
- Diogenes
02-20-2018 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

^ That depends on definitions. Some people consider it all to be part of Afro-Eurasia, since it's all part of one continuous land mass.

02-20-2018 03:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HammerBioLizard Offline
Unapologetic Liberal

I hate how creatures with multiple heads are so common in fantasy fiction. This raises some obvious questions about how the animal can effectively move, given that it has different brains controlling different parts of its body.

In real life, creatures bearing multiple heads seldom live long. In real life, conjoined twins are almost always considered disabled ... so why should I be more scared of conjoined dragon twins?

[Image: 181.jpg]

How does an additional head give you the ability to block an additional creature?

- Diogenes
02-20-2018 04:58 PM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

During Roman times Egypt was considered part of Asia.

These days I believe that most Egyptians believe they are part of Africa and also part of the Arab world.

You've got history, culture and geography to consider.
02-20-2018 09:11 PM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

(02-20-2018 03:00 PM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  Egypt isn't a part of the Middle East. It's a part of northern Africa.

Turkey isn't a part of the Middle East either. Turkey is the near east.

Use of the term 'Middle East' has changed over the years. The Eastern coast of the Mediterranean is now referred to as the Middle East, at least in the UK (including on the news and in the papers, not just colloquially). No-one talks about the 'Near East' any more, as far as I know.

Continental boundaries are generally determined by plate lines. I would hazard a guess that the Eastern part of Egypt is actually in Asia, technically. North Africa isn't the Middle East, though. Use of that term for that area (often Libya as well) is caused by a confusion in the minds of people who think Arabs are all from Asia and all Africans are black.

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
02-20-2018 09:55 PM
HammerBioLizard Offline
Unapologetic Liberal

(02-20-2018 09:55 PM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  Continental boundaries are generally determined by plate lines.

[Image: tectonic_plates_lg.png.cf.jpg]

This implies that Europe and Asia are part of the same continent ... but eastern Siberia is not part of that continent.

Resized the map to make it easier to look at. - d

- Diogenes
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018 05:38 AM by d_olson27.)
02-21-2018 04:51 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

02-21-2018 05:39 AM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

(02-21-2018 04:51 AM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 09:55 PM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  Continental boundaries are generally determined by plate lines.

This implies that Europe and Asia are part of the same continent ... but eastern Siberia is not part of that continent.

"Generally" but not exclusively. I think the border between Asia and Europe is generally taken to be along the Volga heading vaguely North from the Black Sea, then along the Caucasus Mountains.

Similarly, Australia and Antarctica have easily defined boundaries by virtue of basically being large islands (at least, the mainlands of those continents are).

You will see from the map what I meant about the Eastern part of Egypt, no doubt.

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018 09:04 PM by Luke Mauser.)
02-21-2018 09:03 PM
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

I always react oddly whenever I do a new task. According to my mother doing these new "tasks" builds character... meh.... we'll see -_-

Night Owl Redux
Yesterday 11:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)