Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Is the Disney princess archetype inappropriate for children?
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

Is the Disney princess archetype inappropriate for children?
Hi all.

About a year ago, I made a thread called "In Defense of Disney". That was one of my earlier posts. Remember that? Ahhhh ... the memories.

http://autismfriendsnetwork.biz/showthre...+of+disney

Anyways, this will be another revisiting/apology thread. I want to explore a thing that I said in that thread.

In that thread, I claimed that the "princess phase" is an ordinary part of female psychological development. I've reflected on this statement. I think that I may have been wrong. When I was a little kid, I knew plenty of girls who liked to play in the mud and throw sand. When you look back at your childhood, you almost never recall those girls ... since you never see them on television. You never see them in toy commercials. Perhaps I have been remembering my childhood incorrectly.

I want to bring up something else that I said in another thread. One of my favorite shows as a kid was SpongeBob Squarepants. I liked the show because of its sexual purity. When I was a kid, concepts like romance and sex made me feel uncomfortable ... and I think that was normal.

I vividly recall the SpongeBob Valentine's Day special. They somehow managed to make a Valentine's special with no romance whatsoever. I always hated the Valentine's specials in the other shows. I felt like I was being pushed into dating, even though I was too young for it. My mom agreed.

As a result, I don't really like it when children's entertainment focuses on romance. Kids don't even know what that is.

That brings me back to Disney. There are plenty of positive things that you can say about Disney. Their animation is top-notch. All of the creepy conspiracy theories surrounding Walt are just nonsense. Disney hires talented voice actors. They took slave Leia toys off the market after they bought Lucasfilm.

I'm not kidding about that last one. That was a good thing. Lots of Star Wars fanboys are mad about this one, but we need to think of the children. If slave Leia toys are on the market, kids are going to buy them. Gross!

Of course ... Disney has a problem. That problem is called "romantic saturation". This sort of thing is especially common in shows and movies aimed at girls. I always appreciated the sexual purity in SpongeBob ... but most of the characters in that show were male. In shows that focus on female characters ... that sort of purity is far less common.

I dunno. Maybe we are screwing up girls by grooming them for marriage at such a young age. How many social problems does this cause? Who knows?
01-18-2017 09:12 AM
Quote this message in a reply
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

RE: Is the Disney princess archetype inappropriate for children?
I hate it when I make these really thoughtful posts and they get no responses. That's what usually happens when your post doesn't neatly fit on either side of the feminist/anti-feminist dichotomy.

Can anyone here direct me to another site? I hate it when my thoughtful posts regarding sex and gender are simply ignored ... for not being inflammatory or cliché.
01-18-2017 11:39 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

Sometimes it's best to just expect that you won't get any responses and just focus on getting your point out there.

As for me, I just don't really have anything to add at the moment.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
01-18-2017 11:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

Try Wrong Planet Smile

Or maybe IntensitySquared. They would have a field day with stuff like this.

My daughter is 8-years-old. She likes dancing, she likes princessy things. She had a princess-themed birthday party three months ago when she turned 8. She is also at an age where something she thought awesomely cool a few months ago.... she suddenly won't wear even if it's the very last thing in her wardrobe, for fear of looking like a baby.

For girls her age it's a fashion thing. They like princess clothes and princess accessories. They generally aren't interested in the romance side of it.

But haven't princess stories always had a romantic theme? Since way before Disney? I mean, what else are you going to make a princess story about?

I mean, "Spongebob Squarepants" is about Spongebob stupidly bungling his way through a variety of situations. They never run out of material. No need for romance.
01-18-2017 11:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

(01-18-2017 11:49 AM)d_olson27 Wrote:  Sometimes it's best to just expect that you won't get any responses and just focus on getting your point out there.

As for me, I just don't really have anything to add at the moment.

This is why so many people online are angry. Angry people get negative attention ... but at least they get attention.

Intelligent, original content usually gets ignored on all sites ... not just this one. This also applies to the video game industry. The most unique and original games get ignored. This is why De Blob only got one sequel ... even though new Madden games are made every year.

The easiest way to get positive attention online is this: Chant mantras and beat dead horses.

People just hated Ghostbusters 2016 because it had women in it! The fans of the original Ghostbusters movie are MRA neckbeards!

There! I said it! Could someone pay attention to me? What other mantras do you want me to chant?
01-18-2017 12:03 PM
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

(01-18-2017 11:59 AM)142857 Wrote:  Or maybe IntensitySquared. They would have a field day with stuff like this.

... but not in a good way.

Thanks for telling me about that site. I saw it ... and I immediately determined that it wasn't for me. I doubt that I would get any responses there. They seem to be obsessed with anti-SJW clichés. Both sides have their clichés.

Overall ... the site seems to be an angry site designed to scare away the sensitive ... like 4chan. They don't seem to engage in the deep discussion that I crave. Count me out.
01-18-2017 12:34 PM
LanguageWolf Offline
Should we believe that you love peace?

Well, you already know what I think about letting children watch TV. If they're not outside they should be playing videogames or doing something else interactive

"I am going to make trolling great again!"
"Well, I think trolling is already great!"
"TROLLING WAS NEVER GREAT OMFG"
01-18-2017 02:43 PM
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

(01-18-2017 02:43 PM)LanguageWolf Wrote:  Well, you already know what I think about letting children watch TV. If they're not outside they should be playing videogames or doing something else interactive

What sorts of video games? Are you talking about Pokémon?
Pokémon had a "body positive woman" as a protagonist long before that was cool.
[Image: 113Chansey.png]
01-18-2017 02:47 PM
LanguageWolf Offline
Should we believe that you love peace?

Obviously the politics of each video game would be in line with their parents' values. Same with books or anything else that involves active engagement. It's more important to prevent their exposure to rampant consumerism and commercials.

"I am going to make trolling great again!"
"Well, I think trolling is already great!"
"TROLLING WAS NEVER GREAT OMFG"
01-18-2017 02:54 PM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

It's funny how concerns over "screen time" and exposure to inappropriate material on the internet seems to have erased any concerns previous generations had over letting children watch too much TV.

I live right on the edge of the bush. Kids in my suburb used to roam around and have all sorts of adventures with other kids around their own age. I'd have kids knocking on my door asking if my dog could come out and play with them, or if they could collect a ball that had been hit over the fence. These days you could be forgiven for thinking that my neighbourhood is a retirement village. Truth is that there are just as many kids as there ever were, but they are either inside playing games or watching youtube on their tablets, or watching TV. Or on carefully arranged "play dates".

No wonder my kids are counting down the days until the summer holidays are over and they can go back to school and do something interesting.
01-18-2017 03:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)