Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Dumb ways to die
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

RE: Dumb ways to die
(11-08-2017 10:54 AM)d_olson27 Wrote:  ^ I think once we get past the point of enough venom in one bite to kill a full-grown human, which snake has more potent venom and more of it tends to be less of a factor in how scary it is. I'm not going to be more dead if I'm bit by an inland taipan than if it's a black mamba.

Once you get past "enough venom to kill you" then the rapid availability of effective medical treatment is more important than how many times over the snake could kill you.

With an Inland Taipan you just need to stay out of striking range. It isn't going to chase you and bite you multiple times like a Black Mamba will.
11-08-2017 11:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

Obligatory
VVV
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/...ly_suicide
11-08-2017 11:21 AM
Quote this message in a reply
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(11-08-2017 11:01 AM)142857 Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 10:54 AM)d_olson27 Wrote:  ^ I think once we get past the point of enough venom in one bite to kill a full-grown human, which snake has more potent venom and more of it tends to be less of a factor in how scary it is. I'm not going to be more dead if I'm bit by an inland taipan than if it's a black mamba.

Once you get past "enough venom to kill you" then the rapid availability of effective medical treatment is more important than how many times over the snake could kill you.

With an Inland Taipan you just need to stay out of striking range. It isn't going to chase you and bite you multiple times like a Black Mamba will.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Once you get past a certain point, other factors start to become more important, like the aggressiveness of the snake and how quickly the venom will work.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
11-08-2017 11:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

I know D. I was just agreeing with you. I was just reading an article that pointed out that around 100,000 people around the world die from snakebite each year, and only 2 or 3 of those are in Australia. In fact, Americans travelling to Australia might be worried about the snakes and spiders, but about twice as many people die from snakebite in the US compared to Australia. Having the most venomous snakes does not translate to having the most dangerous snakes.

The Inland Taipan’s cousin is known, unsurprisingly, as the Coastal Taipan. Before an antivenom was developed in 1956 every recorded bite from a Coastal Taipan was fatal.

When I was a kid there was no antidote to a Funnel Web Spider’s bite. When we learned at school about what to do when someone was bitten by a snake or spider, we were taught how it was important to apply a pressure bandage that didn’t cut off the blood supply. Except if you got bitten by a funnel web, in which case I remember being told that you should cut off all of the blood supply and sacrificed the limb.

The Inland Taipan tops most lists of the most venomous snakes in the world. But it lives in dry, sparsely populated areas, is not particularly aggressive, and most people apart from this kid and Steve Irwin are very, very careful when handling them. There have been zero recorded fatalities.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 02:00 PM by 142857.)
11-08-2017 02:00 PM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

And where I live, the most dangerous snakes would be rattlesnakes. They're not particularly deadly, as long as you get medical attention quickly, but there are usually signs posted in areas that are likely to have them, and people are taught to have a healthy respect for them. Rattlesnakes also usually aren't that aggressive, so as long as you stay back when you hear the rattle, you'll probably be fine.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
11-08-2017 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ana54 Offline
Make a difference, not a mess.

Let's start again!!!

Getting your head stuck for a long time in a toilet bowl full of feces.

I'm sentimental if you know what I mean.
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
-Leonard Cohen

My tactless tasteless timeless true international incident instigation initiative
11-08-2017 05:56 PM
skyblue1 Offline
Janitor Deluxe

being shot by police officer for petty crimes

I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.
05-21-2018 07:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)