Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Oscars
JWB Offline
Can I get a "Bright not broken?"

The Oscars
I can't wait for the Academy Awards this weekend! A lot of movies are up for nomination! My favorite movie of the year was Arrival. I hope that movie wins for best picture. Amy Adams should have been nominated for best lead actress.
That out of the way, there's something I want to say: every year, people complain the same thing: the Oscars go on too long. Some people have advocated taking out some of the little featurettes they have in the Oscars. I say keep them. I like them. People always talk about the featurettes, but they never talk about the other obvious places they could cut time. (I also like hearing actors speeches after winning. They shouldn't try to cut those.) I want to go over some ways the Oscars could shorten their show.
1. Fewer awards. There are separate awards for Best Sound Mixing and Best Sound Editing. I don't think I've ever come out of a movie and said, "Boy, the sound mixing in that movie was good, but the sound editing was awful!" There was only one award for Best Sound for a long time in the Oscars; let's just go back to that. The movie that wins for best sound mixing almost always also wins best Sound Editing as well; so why not just make it one award? It will be one less award to present and therefore take less time. Also, no one cares about the shorts. Just eliminate Best Animated Short, Best Live Action Short, and Best Documentary Short. No one ever sees those, anyway. They can have their own awards show.
2. Not everything needs its own featurette. Another thing they could do is lower the number of movies nominated for Best Picture from nine to five. This would save time because they have a little featurette for each of the movies nominated. It would be better anyway because everybody knows that some of the movies nominated have no chance of winning. Everybody knows that Hell or High Water won't win for best picture. Why include it in the nomination process for best picture? The five nominees should be Moonlight, Arrival, La La Land, Lion, and Manchester by the Sea. Five featurettes would take less time than nine. Also, they perform all the songs nominated for best new song. They should only perform the winner.
All these changes would lessen the amount of time the Oscars take without making a compressed feeling to the show.

"Some prisoners spent more than ten years buried in solitary cells the size of coffins, hearing nothing but clanging bars or footsteps in the corridors. They survived because they could talk to each other by tapping on the wall. In that way, they told of dreams, memories, and fallings in and out of love; they discussed, embraced, and fought; they shared beliefs, beauties, doubts, guilts and those questions that have no answers.
When it is genuine, when it is born of the need to speak, no one can stop the human voice. When it is denied a mouth, it speaks with the hands, the eyes, the pores, or anything at all because every single one of us has something to say to the others, something that deserves to be celebrated or forgiven by others."-Eduardo Galeano
02-23-2017 09:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

RE: The Oscars
The shorts used to be a big deal because they were a big part of going to the cinema. Even when I was a kid there would generally be a cartoon or a short film before the main feature.

These days I doubt there is very much of a market for short films, or much profit to be made from them. There are short film festivals like "Tropfest" in Australia. Normally when I go to the cinema there are a couple of ads and then straight into the main feature.

So yeah, they probably don't belong in the same awards ceremony as the rest of the Oscars. But would removing them add to the risk of short films dying as an art form?

As for the Oscars going too long: they have a worldwide audience keen to watch the ceremony live or as close to live as possible. As long as it doesn't go so long that people stop bothering to watch it, they know they make more money from 100 million people watching a 4 hour ceremony than from (for example) 120 million people watching a 2 hour ceremony. It's simple economics. Apparently the Oscars used to claim a worldwide audience of 1 billion people.... but apparently that was a big exaggeration.

The longest ceremony on record was in 2002: 4 hours and 23 minutes. I don't think I've ever watched it start-to-finish.
02-23-2017 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Captain Jigglypuff Offline
Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!

I'm not watching them this year. I feel like this will one of those years where it's apparent that the awards were rigged for certain nominees.

Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck in a sewer.
Helga: Gee I don't know. When you think about it is there no sewer BIGGER than the world of professional modelling?
˜The Oblongs

[Image: rarity-press-b_o_591315.jpg]
02-24-2017 12:04 AM
JWB Offline

(02-24-2017 12:04 AM)Captain Jigglypuff Wrote:  I'm not watching them this year. I feel like this will one of those years where it's apparent that the awards were rigged for certain nominees.

How so? Yes, there were a few snubs (Why no Sully? Sully was really snubbed, and The Founder was good, too, and Viola Davis should have been nominated for her work in Hidden Figures, and Amy Adams should have been nominated for Arrival as well.), but I don't think there was a conspiracy or anything. There are snubs every year.

"Some prisoners spent more than ten years buried in solitary cells the size of coffins, hearing nothing but clanging bars or footsteps in the corridors. They survived because they could talk to each other by tapping on the wall. In that way, they told of dreams, memories, and fallings in and out of love; they discussed, embraced, and fought; they shared beliefs, beauties, doubts, guilts and those questions that have no answers.
When it is genuine, when it is born of the need to speak, no one can stop the human voice. When it is denied a mouth, it speaks with the hands, the eyes, the pores, or anything at all because every single one of us has something to say to the others, something that deserves to be celebrated or forgiven by others."-Eduardo Galeano
02-24-2017 09:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

I'm past caring about who wins Oscars any more. It's become ridiculous. A film is successful and miraculously that one film has the best two actors, the best soundtrack, the best director, the best screenplay, the best costume, the best effects, the best sound …

However good a film is, it doesn't have a better fit to what is desirable in all those categories than every other film from that year.

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
02-25-2017 09:25 PM
JWB Offline

(02-25-2017 09:25 PM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  I'm past caring about who wins Oscars any more. It's become ridiculous. A film is successful and miraculously that one film has the best two actors, the best soundtrack, the best director, the best screenplay, the best costume, the best effects, the best sound …

However good a film is, it doesn't have a better fit to what is desirable in all those categories than every other film from that year.

Well, the most popular films don't always win the awards. Everyone went to see Captain America: Civil War, but it wasn't nominated for anything. In fact, the big blockbuster action movies that do well in the box office are rarely nominated for anything.

02-26-2017 06:27 AM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

(02-26-2017 06:27 AM)JWB Wrote:  Well, the most popular films don't always win the awards. Everyone went to see Captain America: Civil War, but it wasn't nominated for anything. In fact, the big blockbuster action movies that do well in the box office are rarely nominated for anything.

There's a good reason for that.

However, name the last time a box-office failure won any of the 'big' oscars (acting, screenplay, director, picture, score)?

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
02-26-2017 08:40 PM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(02-26-2017 08:40 PM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  
(02-26-2017 06:27 AM)JWB Wrote:  Well, the most popular films don't always win the awards. Everyone went to see Captain America: Civil War, but it wasn't nominated for anything. In fact, the big blockbuster action movies that do well in the box office are rarely nominated for anything.

There's a good reason for that.

Just out of curiosity, would that good reason be that most people who saw it thought it was a bad movie, that the movie making industry thought it was a bad movie, or that you believe it's an objectively bad movie?

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
02-27-2017 03:21 AM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

I wasn't referring to the specific movie that was mentioned - I haven't seen it.

My point was that blockbuster movies are 'rarely nominated' because they are rarely particularly good movies. They generally have cliched plots, embarrassing and patronising scripts, an over-reliance on CGI and an excess of speed and noise to cover deficiencies of dramatic tension.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2017 07:08 AM by Luke Mauser.)
02-27-2017 07:08 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

I see.

To be fair, I didn't really care for that movie that much. But then again, I read the story in the comic books, and I felt like they completely missed it in the movie.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
02-27-2017 07:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)