Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
23-year-old Pennsylvania man with autism denied heart transplant by hospital
skyblue1 Online
Janitor Deluxe

23-year-old Pennsylvania man with autism denied heart transplant by hospital
A Pennsylvania mom is fighting to get her 23-year-old autistic son the heart he needs to survive after doctors denied the transplant.

“I was numb at first,” Karen Corby told ABCNews.com, recalling the moment she learned her son’s name wouldn’t be added to the transplant list.

Paul Corby is able-bodied and high-functioning — his only trouble is his heart. Penn Medicine — a hospital group — denied him the operation “given his psychiatric issues, autism, the complexity of the process, multiple procedures and the unknown and unpredictable effect of steroids on behavior,” according to a letter from the hospital.

Paul was born with a damaged left ventrical, meaning his heart can’t pump the right amount of blood, a condition called left ventricular noncompaction. His family learned about the condition in 2008, and last year was told Paul would need a heart transplant.

more
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/he...-1.1137708

I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.
03-06-2017 10:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HammerBioLizard Offline
Woodland Spirit

RE: 23-year-old Pennsylvania man with autism denied heart transplant by hospital
Ableism: It doesn't just hurt. It kills.

"Merchant and pirate were for a long period one and the same person. Even today mercantile morality is really nothing but a refinement of piratical morality."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
03-06-2017 03:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ana54 Offline
International Incident Initiator

RE: 23-year-old Pennsylvania man with autism denied heart transplant by hospital
So it's still going on? I read on AFF about this case about 5 years ago.

Edit: It's good to know he's still alive though, and writing books. Maybe he can write one about the ableism he's suffered at the hands of those monsters.

I'm sentimental if you know what I mean.
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
-Leonard Cohen

My tactless tasteless timeless true international incident instigation initiative
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 06:01 AM by Ana54.)
03-16-2017 06:00 AM
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

I don't understand this "hesitation" that doctors have about putting an autistic individual on a transplant list. They're human, and they have every right to be given a transplant... so why be so "meh" based on his dx, and possible "psychiatric" issues?

[Image: paprikablueskies_zps4f07cefb.jpg]
03-16-2017 02:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
142857 Offline
Odderator

(03-16-2017 06:00 AM)Ana54 Wrote:  So it's still going on? I read on AFF about this case about 5 years ago.

Edit: It's good to know he's still alive though, and writing books. Maybe he can write one about the ableism he's suffered at the hands of those monsters.

I was thinking that it must be a different case. But it's actually the same case and it is ongoing.

Here is a recent update (March 2017) I found:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/...01065b73b1

He is almost 28 now. His father died of the same problem at the age of 27.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 05:08 PM by 142857.)
03-16-2017 05:08 PM
JWB Offline
Can I get a "Bright not broken?"

Gee, why isn't Autism Speaks advocating to put a stop to this kind of thing? I thought Autism Speaks was supposed to be the biggest autistic advocacy group in the country.

"Some prisoners spent more than ten years buried in solitary cells the size of coffins, hearing nothing but clanging bars or footsteps in the corridors. They survived because they could talk to each other by tapping on the wall. In that way, they told of dreams, memories, and fallings in and out of love; they discussed, embraced, and fought; they shared beliefs, beauties, doubts, guilts and those questions that have no answers.
When it is genuine, when it is born of the need to speak, no one can stop the human voice. When it is denied a mouth, it speaks with the hands, the eyes, the pores, or anything at all because every single one of us has something to say to the others, something that deserves to be celebrated or forgiven by others."-Eduardo Galeano
03-17-2017 08:09 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(03-17-2017 08:09 AM)JWB Wrote:  Gee, why isn't Autism Speaks advocating to put a stop to this kind of thing? I thought Autism Speaks was supposed to be the biggest autistic advocacy group in the country.

They have spoken against things like this. Unfortunately, they also seem to place far too much importance on how close to normal the patient is.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
03-17-2017 11:40 AM
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

(03-17-2017 11:40 AM)d_olson27 Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 08:09 AM)JWB Wrote:  Gee, why isn't Autism Speaks advocating to put a stop to this kind of thing? I thought Autism Speaks was supposed to be the biggest autistic advocacy group in the country.

They have spoken against things like this. Unfortunately, they also seem to place far too much importance on how close to normal the patient is.

terror So say we all So it begins -_-

"The person and/or child is close to normal!"

Rolleyes we heard you the first time Mr. Wright.

[Image: paprikablueskies_zps4f07cefb.jpg]
03-17-2017 12:36 PM
Ana54 Offline
International Incident Initiator

How do they know we don't have gifts, skills, etc. that NTs don't have, which makes us EQUAL to NTs??? I'm having to try a little harder to be patient with these people who discriminate and basically kill.

I am so glad AspieGrrl got her transplant and was #1 on the list; I wonder if they knew she was autistic. I kind of hope they did, which would mean they didn't care and wanted her to live anyway.

Maybe Paul can go to a different state.

I'm sentimental if you know what I mean.
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
-Leonard Cohen

My tactless tasteless timeless true international incident instigation initiative
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 12:41 PM by Ana54.)
03-28-2017 12:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)