Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Only Two Gender Options"
HammerBioLizard Offline
King of the Wild Things

"Only Two Gender Options"
[Image: n8xdkinpuhjy.jpg]

Is this a big deal? I honestly don't know at this point, since modern "gamer feminism" is indistinguishable from parody.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PoesLaw
[Image: are-you-a-boy-or-are-you-a-girl-triggered-990620.png]

"Merchant and pirate were for a long period one and the same person. Even today mercantile morality is really nothing but a refinement of piratical morality."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
03-06-2017 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grey Area Offline
Fabulous GCU (◕‿◕✿)

RE: "Only Two Gender Options"
I wasn't going to buy a Switch anyway.

Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.

03-06-2017 10:16 PM
HammerBioLizard Offline
King of the Wild Things

Perhaps SJWs will prefer this game.
[Image: 085.jpg]

"Merchant and pirate were for a long period one and the same person. Even today mercantile morality is really nothing but a refinement of piratical morality."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
03-08-2017 03:21 PM
Grey Area Offline
Fabulous GCU (◕‿◕✿)

I'm not familiar with recent Nintendo hardware. Is that screen from the Mii creator, or do they ask for the user's gender when they create a user account on the console?

Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.

03-10-2017 02:09 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

I'm pretty certain the ones in the original post are just parody. Trans people don't always need to specify which is their biological gender. They just want to be allowed to identify as the one they identify as.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
03-10-2017 12:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chridd Offline

Ugh, I just noticed this topic, and it's ten days old and politics so maybe I shouldn't respond but people are wrong on the internet and this is an issue that's important to me and that I've been thinking about recently, so responding anyways.

Two issues:
1. Non-binary people exist. It's not a political thing, that's just how certain people's brains are wired. (How would you like it if people treated being autistic as some sort of parody political thing?) Even if you're not convinced that's the case, just adding an "other" option is way easier (for the people who actually make the thing) than arguing and making fun of and turning it into a political issue. If there are people uncomfortable with identifying as male or female, you've just made their (our?) lives better; if not, then it's an unused feature not causing any problems.
2. There are people who have legitimate reasons not to reveal their gender. For one, sexism exists; one advantage of the internet is that it's easy to interact with people without revealing one's gender. For another, closeted trans people exist; they have the choice between choosing their actual gender and outing themselves to family etc., and choosing a gender that doesn't represent them.

That said, it could be worse. Your mii doesn't have to be the same gender as you (even for binary cis people), I think at least on Wii U changing one's mii's gender and making miis that clearly look like a different gender than you specified are both possible. Pokémon probably should be asking what character you want to play as rather than what gender you are, but other than that it's even less of an issue because your character is even less representing you and just picking whichever you think looks better is perfectly valid.

(Edit to add: Also I wouldn't be surprised if there are people trying to advocate for adding other gender options and doing so in ways worthy of criticism and ridicule. Judge the people, not the issues. Every issue has unreasonable people supporting it.)

~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, shmphonotactics) · they · Various things I've made
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2017 07:50 AM by chridd.)
03-20-2017 07:47 AM
142857 Offline
Odderator

^Thanks Chridd. Great, well thought out response.
03-20-2017 10:34 AM
qwerty Offline

there are also some non-european cultures that have more than two genders (they wouldn't call themselves non-binary, just whatever the other gender is) and people all over the world play nintendo.

but yeah I find it annoying when places list "transgender" as a gender option since most of us are either women or men and even when we're not that doesn't make "transgender" their gender. a non-binary/other category would take care of it. even better if you give people the option to fill it in rather than trying to list 1000 choices in that category. another option would be to just default to not asking or listing your gender.

this is such an easy thing to do that it's hard to fault those complaining because the easiness means that if it matters even a little nintendo should do it.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2017 12:26 PM by qwerty.)
03-20-2017 12:25 PM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

Also, I've noticed that there are only two sets of controls on the console. What about people with three arms?!!!!

No attempts at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my hear a deep and burning hatred for the Tory Party … So far as I am concerned, they are lower than vermin.

Aneurin Bevan
03-20-2017 09:36 PM
142857 Offline
Odderator

(03-20-2017 09:36 PM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  Also, I've noticed that there are only two sets of controls on the console. What about people with three arms?!!!!

I hate to break this to you Luke, but that third appendage you have..... isn't an arm.
03-20-2017 09:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)