Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Only Two Gender Options"
chridd Offline

RE: "Only Two Gender Options"
One arm is probably an issue that actually comes up, though... (and no arms, and one or zero usable arms/hands)

~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, shmphonotactics) · they · Various things I've made
03-21-2017 04:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

Indeed!

I bang my own drum. Some think it's noise; I think it's pretty.
03-21-2017 07:48 PM
Walker! Offline
Closet Qunari

Trans people should just play Saints Row 2, which determines gender with a slider. You can be male, female and everything inbetween. ^.^

Dragon Age: Inquisition also has the ability to add beards to females, which is more funny than anything and they also have a pretty well done transgender character.

I feel like trans people are such a small demographic at this point that it's not worth catering to them, I mean, I'm guessing that under 5% (and I'm giving a generous estimate here...) of the world's population is. So there just isn't enough demand at the moment.

"And then he is gone and Lazarus is left alone to wonder which is worse - a God that does not care to understand His creation or a God that thinks that he does." Lazarus by John Connolly.

[Image: Cole%20small_zpsckdx6jjq.png]

My website
My writings (Fallout stories)
[Image: 6_11_08_12_7_29_43.gif]
03-27-2017 09:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
qwerty Offline

Quote:I feel like trans people are such a small demographic at this point that it's not worth catering to them, I mean, I'm guessing that under 5% (and I'm giving a generous estimate here...) of the world's population is. So there just isn't enough demand at the moment.

otoh workplaces and schools should definitely learn to be more inclusive of autistic people who compromise less than 2% of the overall population.

(that's sarcasm if people can't tell -_-)
03-27-2017 10:16 AM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

The difference here is that two of the issues being compared are very important (education and employment), whereas one isn't (computer games), and given that plenty of trans people play computer games even though they offer just the two genders, there would be no business advantage accruing from the cost and effort of changing things.

In much the same way, we don't campaign for nigh clubs to turn their music off every time an autistic person decides they'd like to go in, cos that would cause a massive loss to the business simply to accommodate someone who fundamentally dislikes everything the place is about and can just choose not to go there.

I bang my own drum. Some think it's noise; I think it's pretty.
03-28-2017 03:31 AM
qwerty Offline

(03-28-2017 03:31 AM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  The difference here is that two of the issues being compared are very important (education and employment), whereas one isn't (computer games), and given that plenty of trans people play computer games even though they offer just the two genders, there would be no business advantage accruing from the cost and effort of changing things.

In much the same way, we don't campaign for nigh clubs to turn their music off every time an autistic person decides they'd like to go in, cos that would cause a massive loss to the business simply to accommodate someone who fundamentally dislikes everything the place is about and can just choose not to go there.

bad comparison. adding a third gender option doesn't stop people from choosing the other two, turning off the music in a dance club fundamentally defeats the purpose of the club existing.

a better comparison would be adding subtitles to videos for people who are deaf or have processing problems. it takes a little extra time, but makes it suitable for more people without preventing other people from watching with or without subtitles.

you're making it sound like this is some kind of massive cost, but it would have taken a few more hours at most to add an 'other' option. just add another item to the array (or whatever they use to program). that's much less effort than subtitling a tv series, yet that's expected for cable tv.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 12:00 PM by qwerty.)
03-28-2017 11:58 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

I'm not even sure why most video games even need to know the gender of the player. We could save a whole lot of debate by not bothering to ask the question in the first place when it isn't in reference to designing the main character.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
03-28-2017 12:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
qwerty Offline

the thread in question isn't about a game, it's about a console called nintendo switch. it's basically the new gameboy.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch

this means it's not about a main character. there's no particular reason for it to make you choose.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 01:38 PM by qwerty.)
03-28-2017 01:38 PM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

I know about the Switch. The only reason I haven't tried to buy one yet is I don't have the money. The point I was trying to make is that there's no good reason I can see to even ask the question about the player's gender.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
03-28-2017 01:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)