Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Pronunciations you dislike
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

Pronunciations you dislike
This could easily become a transatlantic war … missiles at the ready ….

I hate the way certain Americans pronounce 'coffee' and 'pecan' as if they have a 'w' in them.

What pronunciations really get your goat?

No attempts at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my hear a deep and burning hatred for the Tory Party … So far as I am concerned, they are lower than vermin.

Aneurin Bevan
04-30-2017 01:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chridd Offline

RE: Pronunciations you dislike
I think I've heard of coffee with a w (though it's not a common pronunciation here; /ˈkɑf.i/ (coughy) is the usual pronunciation), but pecan? I mean, I know there's a difference in the last vowel in some dialects, but I don't think I've ever heard a w, unless you think /pi.ˈkɑn/ sounds like it's spelled "pecawn" or something.

~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, shmphonotactics) · they · Various things I've made
04-30-2017 02:20 AM
Grey Area Offline
Fabulous GCU (◕‿◕✿)

The American pronunciation of "herb".

There is nothing worse I can wish upon you than to be what you already are.
04-30-2017 02:28 AM
HammerBioLizard Offline
Unapologetic Liberal

I hate it when people pronounce "Mario" as "May-ree-o".

"I am a citizen of the world."
- Diogenes
04-30-2017 02:41 AM
Captain Jigglypuff Online
Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!

Certain "official" Pokémon name pronunciations are bad. Some have changed they way they are said after being called a different way for a while such as Misdreavus. First it was Mis-dray-vus and sounded like Mischevious. Then it switched to Mis-dre-vus. Bonsly is a bit worse. During Lucario and the Mystery of Mew it was called Bons-lee as in bonsai with an L. And then the anime messed everything up a year later by calling it Bons-lie. There is no excuse here for the change. This happened AFTER the English dub switched to different voice actors and the movie had the same actors. Arceus has at least four different pronunciations that official sources have given and I think even its own movie can't even decide what to call it.

Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck in a sewer.
Helga: Gee I don't know. When you think about it is there no sewer BIGGER than the world of professional modelling?
˜The Oblongs

[Image: rarity-press-b_o_591315.jpg]
04-30-2017 03:09 AM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

(04-30-2017 02:20 AM)chridd Wrote:  I think I've heard of coffee with a w (though it's not a common pronunciation here; /ˈkɑf.i/ (coughy) is the usual pronunciation), but pecan? I mean, I know there's a difference in the last vowel in some dialects, but I don't think I've ever heard a w, unless you think /pi.ˈkɑn/ sounds like it's spelled "pecawn" or something.

A lot of Americans seem to think it's 'pecawn'.

A lot of people from northern England say 'forrid' when they mean 'forehead'.

No attempts at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my hear a deep and burning hatred for the Tory Party … So far as I am concerned, they are lower than vermin.

Aneurin Bevan
04-30-2017 06:45 PM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

People from Essex say everything like they've got a mouthful of marbles. Flamethrower
04-30-2017 09:42 PM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(04-30-2017 09:42 PM)142857 Wrote:  People from Essex say everything like they've got a mouthful of marbles. Flamethrower

How dare people have different accents! Flamethrower

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
05-01-2017 03:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chridd Offline

(04-30-2017 06:45 PM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  A lot of Americans seem to think it's 'pecawn'.
...okay, so first of all, what do you mean by "aw"? (This is why IPA is helpful.) My dialect has /pi.ˈkɑn/, and in my dialect "pecawn" would also be pronounced /pi.ˈkɑn/; however, my understanding is that non-US dialects would pronounce "pecawn" as /pi.ˈkɔn/ (using a sound that's in some American dialects but not mine). Do US dialects that have /ɔ/ ("aw") and /ɑ/ ("ah") different say /pi.ˈkɔn/? In any case, in my dialect, the vowel is a perfectly normal way of pronouncing a; it's pronounced the same as it is in father, palm, start, piñata.
Also, it's an American nut, so the American pronunciation of the word is clearly correct. ...not that Americans can agree on the pronunciation...

Quote:A lot of people from northern England say 'forrid' when they mean 'forehead'.
I've heard that's an older pronunciation, and people switched to "four-head" because of how it's spelled.

Quote:First it was Mis-dray-vus and sounded like Mischevious. Then it switched to Mis-dre-vus. Bonsly is a bit worse. During Lucario and the Mystery of Mew it was called Bons-lee as in bonsai with an L. And then the anime messed everything up a year later by calling it Bons-lie.
Wait, what? "Mis-dre-vus" looks like it would be pronounced more like "mischevious" than "mis-dray-vus", and "bons-lie" looks more like it would be pronounced like "bonsai" than "bons-lee". Did you get those backwards, or am I interpreting you wrong? Again, IPA would be helpful.

~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, shmphonotactics) · they · Various things I've made
05-01-2017 05:29 AM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

(05-01-2017 05:29 AM)chridd Wrote:  
(04-30-2017 06:45 PM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  A lot of Americans seem to think it's 'pecawn'.
...okay, so first of all, what do you mean by "aw"?

I would say it as in the words 'pea' and 'can'.

The pronunciation I dislike has the second syllable rhyming with 'brawn', which seems to make no sense.

Aneurin Bevan
05-01-2017 05:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)