Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Scientifically Verifiable Sex Differences
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

Scientifically Verifiable Sex Differences
I'm getting tired of biology deniers who overuse the "social construct" card. I've decided to make a thread devoted to the scientifically verifiable sex differences.

http://www.livescience.com/3457-women-smell-men.html

FACT: Women have a better sense of smell than men. This is why women tend to hate farts more than men. Additionally, this is why women are more likely to collect flowers and scented candles.
05-15-2017 10:48 AM
Quote this message in a reply
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

RE: Scientifically Verifiable Sex Differences
It's not really that women have a better sense of smell. Women smell things that men don't, specifically, the unique odors of different men. The main reason women don't like the smell of farts is that men are more likely to appreciate things that stink.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
05-15-2017 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chridd Offline

Let's see... from my understanding, males and females tend to have different genitals and reproductive systems (and have different roles in reproduction, e.g. females are more likely to be able to get pregnant), males tend to have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome whereas females tend to have two X's (which affects the distribution of colorblindness), males tend to have deeper voices after puberty than females (also different resonance), males tend to grow facial hair after puberty and females generally don't, females tend to grow breasts and males tend not to (but there can still be some fat around that area), males tend to be taller than females and have growth spurts at different times, females tend to have wider hips than males (both in terms of bone structure and fat distribution), males tend to store fat in their tummies whereas females tend to store it around their hips and bottom, I think males tend to have wider shoulders, males and females tend to have differently shaped foreheads and jaws (and other differences), males tend to have higher libido than females, and apparently the ratio between the lengths of the index finger and ring finger is smaller on males than females. Also, from what I understand, males are more likely to be sexually attracted to females and females are more likely to be sexually attracted to males. Also they tend to play with different toys at age three, have somewhat different sexual behavior, and a bunch of very small personality differences with a lot of overlap. Also may have slight differences when naming colors.

Of course none of this is absolute, especially when you take into account trans people and intersex people (in which case what sex a person is doesn't always have a definite answer, and isn't always the same as their gender).

~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, shmphonotactics) · they · Various things I've made
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2017 01:23 PM by chridd.)
05-15-2017 01:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

(05-15-2017 01:16 PM)chridd Wrote:  males tend to have deeper voices after puberty than females (also different resonance),

Not just after puberty. Little girls generally have shriller, more irritating voices than little boys. The difference in quality is the reason why you tend to get choirBOYS rather than choirGIRLS.

(No doubt there are also patriarchal religious reasons, but many non-believing musicians would tell you that boys voices tend to be more suited to the church music repertoire than are those of girls.)

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
05-18-2017 06:52 AM
Grey Area Offline

(05-15-2017 10:48 AM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  I'm getting tired of biology deniers who overuse the "social construct" card.

Who is claiming that biological sex is a social construct?

There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
05-20-2017 02:34 PM
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

(05-20-2017 02:34 PM)Grey Area Wrote:  
(05-15-2017 10:48 AM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  I'm getting tired of biology deniers who overuse the "social construct" card.

Who is claiming that biological sex is a social construct?

Quite a few people in the modern trans community do that.
Sophie Labelle is notorious for this.
05-20-2017 02:43 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Grey Area Offline

(05-20-2017 02:43 PM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  Quite a few people in the modern trans community do that.

Also Riley Dennis, Milo Stewart and probably a few other obscure Twitter/Tumblr/Youtube personalities. How much sway do these people hold in academia? How many people outside the internet SocJus/shitlord communities are even aware that they exist? How significant are they, in the grand scheme of things?

There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
05-20-2017 03:10 PM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

(05-20-2017 03:10 PM)Grey Area Wrote:  
(05-20-2017 02:43 PM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  Quite a few people in the modern trans community do that.

Also Riley Dennis, Milo Stewart and probably a few other obscure Twitter/Tumblr/Youtube personalities. How much sway do these people hold in academia?

Approximately none. But they do hold some sway in society generally, as do other people with bullshit non-scientific ideas, such as anti-vaxxers, climate-change deniers and neo-pagans.

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
05-20-2017 05:59 PM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

Gender roles are, to a large extent, a social construct.

Biological gender is obviously (to me) real. I could start wearing a dress tomorrow and identify as female but I'd still have a penis. And the ability to grow facial hair. And I'd still have thinning hair.
05-20-2017 06:25 PM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

(05-20-2017 06:25 PM)142857 Wrote:  Biological gender is obviously (to me) real. I could start wearing a dress tomorrow and identify as female but I'd still have a penis. And the ability to grow facial hair. And I'd still have thinning hair.

it goes deeper than that, of course. It's in your chromosomes.

05-20-2017 06:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)