Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Scientifically Verifiable Sex Differences
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

RE: Scientifically Verifiable Sex Differences
(05-20-2017 02:43 PM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  
(05-20-2017 02:34 PM)Grey Area Wrote:  
(05-15-2017 10:48 AM)HammerBioLizard Wrote:  I'm getting tired of biology deniers who overuse the "social construct" card.

Who is claiming that biological sex is a social construct?

Quite a few people in the modern trans community do that.
Sophie Labelle is notorious for this.

Almost no one says that biological sex is a social construct.

What people do say is that there's a difference between biological sex and gender. Sex is how your body is put together. It's pretty much defined by the anatomy you had when you were born, but it can be changed with surgery and hormone therapy. Gender, on the other had, is how you identify. It used to be that when your gender identity didn't match up with your biological sex, that was seen as a mental illness. More recently, people have been finding evidence that it's much more common than we originally thought, and people have been accepting that it doesn't really cause any harm.

While we're on this subject, biological sex isn't strictly binary either. Quite a few people out there are born with ambiguous genitalia, and are assigned a sex at birth, typically based on whether or not the genitals look like they'd be able to penetrate something.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
05-21-2017 02:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chridd Offline

Thing is, I'd also dispute the notion that gender (specifically gender identity) is a social construct. It seems to be some sort of instinct (at least some) people are born with (and feel in spite of society saying otherwise); gender dysphoria often includes discomfort with one's body, even when the person is alone (and I've seen a comment saying the commenter experience dysphoria solely as discomfort with their body and don't care about the social stuff); and if Wikipedia (and the study/studies they got their information from) is to be believed there's a physical trait that correlates with gender (in AMAB people) and also with many masculine and feminine traits.

Of course, there's still a lot related to gender that is a social construct—e.g., stuff relating to clothing, gender roles, gender stereotypes, etc. (At the very least, the details are socially constructed—whether and to what extent there's some instinctive basis for gender roles I don't know.)

Oh, and add to the list of sex differences—apparently at least physiological responses to emotions (e.g., ability to cry) are influenced by hormones, and therefore different between different sexes (information at least indirectly from those who've done hormone replacement therapy).

(05-20-2017 03:10 PM)Grey Area Wrote:  Also Riley Dennis, Milo Stewart and probably a few other obscure Twitter/Tumblr/Youtube personalities. How much sway do these people hold in academia? How many people outside the internet SocJus/shitlord communities are even aware that they exist? How significant are they, in the grand scheme of things?
Data point: I've only heard of Sophie Labelle because of a thread posted on this forum a while ago, and have never heard of Riley Dennis or Milo Stewart before that post.

(05-21-2017 02:36 AM)d_olson27 Wrote:  It used to be that when your gender identity didn't match up with your biological sex, that was seen as a mental illness. More recently, people have been finding evidence that it's much more common than we originally thought, and people have been accepting that it doesn't really cause any harm.
Define "mental illness". (Also, define the connotations of ("confine"?) "mental illness".) Gender dysphoria is something that can cause distress and depression, and is apparently classified as a "mental disorder" for insurance reasons in the US; on the other hand, gender dysphorics aren't (in general) crazy or dangerous, and the treatment involves physical rather than psychological treatment.

~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, shmphonotactics) · they · Various things I've made
05-21-2017 07:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

(05-21-2017 02:36 AM)d_olson27 Wrote:  While we're on this subject, biological sex isn't strictly binary either. Quite a few people out there are born with ambiguous genitalia, and are assigned a sex at birth, typically based on whether or not the genitals look like they'd be able to penetrate something.

True. I used to teach a 'girl' who was chromosomally male.

She looked, sounded and behaved like a regular girl (whatever that is), as she had been brought up to be, with some help from hormone injections as she approached adolescence.

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
05-22-2017 06:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)