Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
I Don't Understand Fanficiton
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

I Don't Understand Fanficiton
Hi all. I want to bring up another topic.

I don't understand fanfiction.

Well ... okay. I understand why fanfiction exists, but I don't understand why it is such a big thing.

Seriously. Are people really this obsessed with their favorite shows? They're just shows! It's just fiction!

Is it that some people aren't creative enough to come up with their own characters? It's not that hard.

I once attempted to write Magic School Bus fanfiction as a personal experiment. What did I learn about myself? I can't write fanfiction. I kept changing the personalities of the characters because the structure of the show felt like a confining cage, imprisoning my creativity. By the time my story was finished, it only vaguely resembled the source material. Why do some people devote their entire lives to this?
06-08-2017 01:02 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Captain Jigglypuff Offline
Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!

RE: I Don't Understand Fanficiton
I write alternate timeline stories where my story isn't really cannon but more of a what if situation. Except for the Avatar:The Last Airbender meet the Predator story. It's an alternate version of the episode that made me dislike the series because literally everyone in it was acting very stupid and couldn't see that the conflict didn't really exist because both sides did things that negated the whole feud.

Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck in a sewer.
Helga: Gee I don't know. When you think about it is there no sewer BIGGER than the world of professional modelling?
˜The Oblongs

[Image: rarity-press-b_o_591315.jpg]
06-08-2017 02:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

I understand why people might want to write it. I can't understand why anyone else would want to read it.

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
06-08-2017 03:10 AM
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

(06-08-2017 03:10 AM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  I understand why people might want to write it. I can't understand why anyone else would want to read it.

There are two main reasons why people read fanfic.

1. Some of it is so bad, it's good. Sonichu and My Immortal are two good examples of this.
2. Some of it caters to weird sexual fetishes. That's why so many teenage girls read Kingdom Hearts mpreg fanfiction.
06-08-2017 04:05 AM
Captain Jigglypuff Offline
Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!

My writings let readers see how their favorite character would react in certain situation. For example I might write what could happen if Samurai Jack ever met Sub Zero and started to fight and who would win.

Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck in a sewer.
Helga: Gee I don't know. When you think about it is there no sewer BIGGER than the world of professional modelling?
˜The Oblongs

[Image: rarity-press-b_o_591315.jpg]
06-08-2017 05:48 AM
qwerty Offline
elder

(06-08-2017 03:10 AM)Luke Mauser Wrote:  I understand why people might want to write it. I can't understand why anyone else would want to read it.

surely good writing is good writing? not that all of it is good, but there are lots of published novels I have no interest in reading either.
06-08-2017 07:27 AM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

There are a number of successful authors who honed their skills by writing fanfic.

https://www.authors.me/famous-authors-be...n-fiction/

I've never actually read fanfic but it does seem like a good way to get into serious writing.
06-08-2017 03:07 PM
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

(06-08-2017 03:07 PM)142857 Wrote:  There are a number of successful authors who honed their skills by writing fanfic.

https://www.authors.me/famous-authors-be...n-fiction/

I've never actually read fanfic but it does seem like a good way to get into serious writing.

This doesn't explain why some fanfic is so weird.

Fanfiction
is
wierd.
06-08-2017 07:51 PM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

The reason some fanfiction is so weird is because with that many different authors writing that many different stories, you should expect some of it to be really weird.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
06-08-2017 10:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

(06-08-2017 10:54 PM)d_olson27 Wrote:  The reason some fanfiction is so weird is because with that many different authors writing that many different stories, you should expect some of it to be really weird.

... and the fact that most of it is written by teenage girls.
Teenage girls are so weird.
06-08-2017 11:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)