Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When did you stop believing in Santa Claus?
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

I can't remember exactly. I think I was 8 or 9 years old.

I suspect that my son has stopped believing in Santa Claus. I suspect that it happened not long before last Christmas (when he was 11 years and 9 months old).

He loved Santa Claus so much and believed so fiercely when he was younger. He is now almost a teenager and he says he still believes, but he says it with a knowing smile. He has never admitted to not believing. Last year he started telling me things that some of his friends had said, like how they busted their parents with the presents.

Then again, only about a year ago when he lost one of his teeth he was arguing fiercely with his mother, telling her that the tooth fairy is real if you really believe. I get a funny feeling that he has chosen to believe despite what his friends tell him and what he has heard.

My daughter is 9 years and 2 months old and I'm certain that she still believes in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. My son is too sweet to even think about telling her that they are not real.

I've never told my kids that Santa Claus is real, at least not since my son was a toddler and on Christmas morning I'd wake him up to see his presents. I always tell my kids that I think Santa Claus is pretend and that I don't believe in him.

My daughter went to a great deal of trouble last year laying out carrots on separate plates for each of the reindeer, with little name tags on the plates. And cookies and milk for Santa, of course. My plan to leave out some vodka got vetoed.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017 06:04 PM by 142857.)
12-06-2017 06:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

RE: When did you stop believing in Santa Claus?
I've never believed in Santa. My parents didn't even mention him as far as i can recall, except when they we're explaining who the character was when I'd seen him portrayed on TV or in a book. They always treated it as mythology, like the Ancient Greek and Roman myths they used to tell me.

No attempts at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my hear a deep and burning hatred for the Tory Party … So far as I am concerned, they are lower than vermin.

Aneurin Bevan
12-06-2017 06:23 PM
Captain Jigglypuff Offline
Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!

Second grade after reading it in a book. I pretended to still believe in Santa for another four years just to get extra presents.

Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck in a sewer.
Helga: Gee I don't know. When you think about it is there no sewer BIGGER than the world of professional modelling?
˜The Oblongs

[Image: rarity-press-b_o_591315.jpg]
12-06-2017 11:52 PM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

Despite what I posted earlier, I still get a stocking on Christmas morning!

My parents leave it outside the bedroom door - it generally contains bottle of alcoholic beverages …

No attempts at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my hear a deep and burning hatred for the Tory Party … So far as I am concerned, they are lower than vermin.

Aneurin Bevan
12-07-2017 02:17 AM
chridd Offline

I can't remember a time when I believed in Santa; likely I never did. My parents did try to tell me he exists, but I wanted actual photographic evidence, and there wasn't any.

~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, shmphonotactics) · they · Various things I've made
12-15-2017 09:57 PM
Captain Jigglypuff Offline
Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!

I actually took finding out Santa wasn’t real after reading it in a book very well. I saw what it said and I was like, “So Santa isn’t real. Ok.” I wasn’t upset at all. It was really nothing and I just continued reading.

Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck in a sewer.
Helga: Gee I don't know. When you think about it is there no sewer BIGGER than the world of professional modelling?
˜The Oblongs

[Image: rarity-press-b_o_591315.jpg]
Yesterday 03:04 AM
HammerBioLizard Offline
Unapologetic Liberal

I think that I was eight at the time. My dad told me that Santa wasn't real because he thought that Santa was taking the Christ out of Christmas. The rest of the family was mad at him.

Ironically, this was my first step towards abandoning God.

"I am a citizen of the world."
- Diogenes
Yesterday 09:14 AM
Ana54 Offline
Make a difference, not a mess.

If I ever believed in Santa Claus, I stopped believing at about age like 5 I guess.

I was more sure of not believing in him then than I am now; literally speaking we have no idea.

I'm sentimental if you know what I mean.
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
-Leonard Cohen

My tactless tasteless timeless true international incident instigation initiative
Yesterday 01:57 PM
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

I haven't believed in Santa Claus, I knew since childhood that it was just a myth... a myth similar to the old stories of a Danish toy-maker who was very generous towards the little people.

Night Owl Redux
Yesterday 04:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)