Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are you disappointed that the future hasn't turned out like the movies said it would?
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

Are you disappointed that the future hasn't turned out like the movies said it would?
[Image: zz37b58da8.jpg?w=738]
02-08-2018 04:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HammerBioLizard
Unregistered

RE: Are you disappointed that the future hasn't turned out like the movies said it would?
I'm not even remotely disappointed.

Outer space is whole lot of nothing. The internet is awesome. People are using it to inform other people about corruption and how to fix it.

The internet is the greatest thing ever created by humankind and I would not trade it for anything.
02-08-2018 11:08 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

RE: Are you disappointed that the future hasn't turned out like the movies said it would?
Yeah in a way I am.... yet in other ways, the future concepts are just stories, and mere predictions.

[Image: GJ8Hf7r.jpg]
02-09-2018 04:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
qwerty Offline
elder

a lot of things did turn out like movies said they would, like video phone calls, portable phones, virtual reality is in its early stages and the main problem is how bulky the headsets are (ie is temporary), there are major breakthroughs in renewable energy and it's becoming more affordable, etc

what we didn't get (yet): vertical roads, human intelligence equivalent ai, space colonies, end of scarcity, asteroid mining, etc. some of these sorts of predictions are quite possibly going to happen in the next 50 years.

given how old some sci fi stories are, they got quite a lot correct or off by just a few decades
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 06:32 AM by qwerty.)
02-09-2018 06:32 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

I'm more disappointed in some of the ways the movies got it right. For example, Biff Tannen is president now.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
02-09-2018 12:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

(02-09-2018 06:32 AM)qwerty Wrote:  a lot of things did turn out like movies said they would, like video phone calls, portable phones, virtual reality is in its early stages and the main problem is how bulky the headsets are (ie is temporary), there are major breakthroughs in renewable energy and it's becoming more affordable, etc

what we didn't get (yet): vertical roads, human intelligence equivalent ai, space colonies, end of scarcity, asteroid mining, etc. some of these sorts of predictions are quite possibly going to happen in the next 50 years.

given how old some sci fi stories are, they got quite a lot correct or off by just a few decades

The thing about Virtual Reality is that it is one of those things that sounds really cool in concept, but is far less fun in reality. Last time I was in an amusement arcade with my kids I tried to get them to join me on some kind of space adventure virtual reality ride and they simply weren’t interested. 25 years ago I used to hang out at lunchtime in a VR centre called “Intencity” near where I worked. There were rarely any “real” customers, and all I ever did was play the standard low-tech basketball machines. I used to win the jackpot (for getting over 100 points) every time I played, which involved the machine spitting out huge numbers of tickets which I used to “purchase” all sorts of toys and clothes in their redemption shop. The thing is that if there was significant demand for VR then the tech would be awesome by now. Actually the tech is already pretty advanced where there are commercial applications of VR (like pilot training).

We already have increases in data processing speeds and data storage capacities far beyond what most people thought would happen. I guess a lot of us thought that as computers got “smarter” and “smarter” and knew more stuff that they’d become self-aware and start to act like us. I guess it’s just as intriguing that it didn’t happen that way as it would have been if it did happen.

Actually I think we are already, for the most part, post-scarcity. As in there is no underlying scarcity when you look at the real cost of producing food and manufactured goods. It could be argued that scarcity is now an economic / political construct (this should be a separate thread).
02-09-2018 05:23 PM
qwerty Offline
elder

have you done modern, consumer level, gaming oriented virtual reality? it sounds like you haven't becuase it's actually pretty amazing (one might say 'awesome') and very fun, the problem is having all that weight on one's head can make people start feeling sick after as soon as half an hour and being chorded means people can't move around their vr space freely. I mean specifically these: https://www.oculus.com/rift/ though htc has an equivalent quality one too.

they ship with a game that's modeled after the 90s arcade shooters and it's like being in the matrix where you can dodge bullets or even deflect them back at the robots shooting at you etc. and I think the robots are intentional because it would actually be pretty disturbing to have even semi-realistic humans in that context. another free one it comes with is like enders game where they shoot themselves around in zero gravity except you're trying to score a frisbee through a goal post and it has its own dedicated competitive community.

I got one on sale a while back after I had been given a big gift card. I mean to sell my headset because I have basically no money, the one thing it's not is relaxing or comfortable and I'm usually pretty overwhelmed so I don't use it very much, and I'm coming to terms with the fact that I don't actually like video games that much (I just do them when I'm too overwhelmed to pursue things I care about more or am otherwise stuck in the house, I'd rather take up hiking if I could honestly but I can't get anywhere). however the technology is very, very close to being mass market ready. I give it 4-5 more years, 10 tops. it just needs to lighten up the headsets, drop the chord, and maybe improve resolution a bit.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2018 01:04 AM by qwerty.)
02-10-2018 01:00 AM
Captain Jigglypuff Offline
Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!

I’m not really disappointed about how we are living in years that movies made into the future and our present isn’t like how the movies thought they’d be. The only things I’d be interested in that those movie had are flying cars, teleporting pads and transport tubes, and technology and the ability to travel to and inhabit planets other than Earth.

Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck in a sewer.
Helga: Gee I don't know. When you think about it is there no sewer BIGGER than the world of professional modelling?
˜The Oblongs

[Image: rarity-press-b_o_591315.jpg]
02-10-2018 03:05 AM
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

Was there a movie that predicted Second Life?

[Image: GJ8Hf7r.jpg]
02-10-2018 05:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)