Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wrong Planet seems to have been hacked
Grey Area Offline

Wrong Planet seems to have been hacked
I just tried going there, and it displayed a server login popup and started playing an audio message (sounded like a text to speech program) saying that my computer was transmitting my Facebook login and bank details or some shit. I had to close Firefox via the task manager. The audio message was probably bullshit (I hope), but I'm running a full scan on Defender anyway.

There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
03-12-2018 12:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

RE: Wrong Planet seems to have been hacked
O_O

[Image: GJ8Hf7r.jpg]
03-12-2018 12:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grey Area Offline

I ran scans with Defender and Malwarebytes, and the only thing that came up was a temp file in Firefox that Defender couldn't identify. I deleted all cookies and temp files and reset all my passwords, and I haven't had any issues so far. Hopefully it's just a server glitch with an unnecessarily scary error message. I've encountered similar issues there a couple of times in the past, but since I had NoScript on my old computer this is the first time I've heard a WP error page play audio. I really hate it when inanimate objects yell at me. It's not good for my nerves.

03-12-2018 01:04 PM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

(03-12-2018 12:45 AM)Grey Area Wrote:  The audio message was probably bullshit (I hope),

Almost certainly. I'd had messages like that in the past - some of them years ago - but never had my e-mail hacked or my credit card or other financial details used fraudulently, as they said would happen.

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
03-12-2018 08:36 PM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

It's a pretty safe bet that if you the malware tells you it's stealing your credit card info etc., then it actually isn't. Because if you want to steal credit card info, you want your victim to find out after they discover thousands of dollars worth of purchases on their statement.
03-12-2018 08:44 PM
Grey Area Offline

When malware tells you that your bank details etc. are being stolen, it's usually trying to scare you into downloading a piece of software that will steal your data and charge you money for the privilege. That particular type of malware is called scareware.

03-13-2018 12:51 AM
skyblue1 Online
Administrator

sounds like Ransomware also

I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.
03-13-2018 01:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grey Area Offline

Ransomware is malware that encrypts the data on your hard drive(s), and then demands that you pay for the data to be decrypted. Scareware usually tries to scare you into installing and paying for the "full" version of a fake antivirus that logs your keystrokes and browsing history (thus stealing your data).

03-13-2018 02:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)