Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Autism mum criticised for planning comedy show about her experiences
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

Autism mum criticised for planning comedy show about her experiences
Quote:Osbourne plans to perform her show as part of the Melbourne Comedy Festival. Some critics have contacted City of Kingston to demand the shows scheduled for Kingston City Hall in Melbourne be cancelled.

https://honey.nine.com.au/2018/03/30/11/...-about-son
03-30-2018 08:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

RE: Autism mum criticised for planning comedy show about her experiences
This whole insistence on "autism as a tragedy" needs to stop. Good on this mum.
03-30-2018 08:39 PM
Captain Jigglypuff Offline
Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!

I agree. As long as the mom is acting like a self martyr and that she is suffering from taking care of her son and vilifying autism, I’m fine with a comedy act. Lots of people do comedy routines based around their daily lives. And kids with autism are just like any other kids and tend to have moments when they say or do something hilarious.

Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck in a sewer.
Helga: Gee I don't know. When you think about it is there no sewer BIGGER than the world of professional modelling?
˜The Oblongs

[Image: rarity-press-b_o_591315.jpg]
03-30-2018 10:15 PM
qwerty Offline
elder

I don't have an opinion about the show but I could do without the whole "autism mum" misnomer (with the article quoting them like they're an authority). You may be a mom but you're not autistic nor is your child an avatar of pure autism.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2018 11:43 PM by qwerty.)
03-30-2018 11:42 PM
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

This might be interesting.... too bad I don't live down under though Undecided

[Image: GJ8Hf7r.jpg]
03-31-2018 04:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(03-30-2018 11:42 PM)qwerty Wrote:  I don't have an opinion about the show but I could do without the whole "autism mum" misnomer (with the article quoting them like they're an authority). You may be a mom but you're not autistic nor is your child an avatar of pure autism.

No, but autism moms are part of the Autism community, and they do know something.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
03-31-2018 10:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

I get that there are some Autism Mums and Autism Dads who appear to believe that their experience of parenting an autistic child is the only "authentic" experience of parenting an autistic child.

The objections to this performance appear to be that finding humour in the experience of parenting an autistic child is offensive.

I really like the idea that someone is prepared to share the humour in the experience, because parenting an autistic child should give us as much joy as parenting any child.
03-31-2018 10:03 PM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

^ Totally agree. Life is funny. Disabilities are no exception. As long as you can handle the topic respectfully, I see no problem with poking fun at it.

04-01-2018 03:44 AM
qwerty Offline
elder

(03-31-2018 10:49 AM)d_olson27 Wrote:  
(03-30-2018 11:42 PM)qwerty Wrote:  I don't have an opinion about the show but I could do without the whole "autism mum" misnomer (with the article quoting them like they're an authority). You may be a mom but you're not autistic nor is your child an avatar of pure autism.

No, but autism moms are part of the Autism community, and they do know something.

I make no claims about if there is an "autism community" or who belongs to it, but I don't really agree with nuerotypical people portraying themselves as an authority on autism which is exactly what the "autism mom" label is doing. Like sure, they can talk about their experiences, but that doesn't make them "autism moms," they're just moms.
04-01-2018 04:36 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(04-01-2018 04:36 AM)qwerty Wrote:  
(03-31-2018 10:49 AM)d_olson27 Wrote:  

I make no claims about if there is an "autism community" or who belongs to it, but I don't really agree with nuerotypical people portraying themselves as an authority on autism which is exactly what the "autism mom" label is doing. Like sure, they can talk about their experiences, but that doesn't make them "autism moms," they're just moms.

I do make claims about the Autism community and who's in it because I'm part of it, but we can set that aside for now.

I don't personally see a lot of autism moms portraying themselves as knowing what autism is like from the inside. Most of what I see is them talking about the challenges specific to raising an autistic child, including the obstacles to getting them the services they need. That's some really valuable input that I don't want to shut out.

I agree that there is a problem with other people treating them as though they're absolute experts, and a few of them do take on that role themselves. As far as I can tell, it's not a labeling problem, because that's been going on long before I ever ran across the term "autism mom." The problem is perception, and I don't think it's going to go away until we get to where people can't ignore the voices on the spectrum anymore.

04-01-2018 05:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)