Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
If you are angry, don't do this
MM Offline
elder

If you are angry, don't do this
If you are angry about your life. Don't do what Alek did.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/04...mpage.html
04-25-2018 08:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Walker! Offline
Closet Qunari

RE: If you are angry, don't do this
(04-25-2018 08:53 AM)MM Wrote:  If you are angry about your life. Don't do what Alek did.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/04...mpage.html

If I was mad, I'd probably have people in mind, who I'd plough a van into. Usually it would be an individual or a group that made me turn to the path of murder, so anyone who isn't them would likely be safe.

"And then he is gone and Lazarus is left alone to wonder which is worse - a God that does not care to understand His creation or a God that thinks that he does." Lazarus by John Connolly.

[Image: 154?cb=20160821001221]

My website
My writings (Fallout stories)
[Image: 6_11_08_12_7_29_43.gif]
04-25-2018 09:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

The article did mention reports of this guy being autistic (no surprise there). Props to the writer for mentioning in the same sentence that there's no correlation between that and violence. We need more of that, if autism comes up at all. Of course, what would be even better is if it doesn't come up unless it's somehow relevant to the story.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2018 11:35 AM by d_olson27.)
04-25-2018 11:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
elder

Even if you are angry and people deserve to be punished, driving a vehicle at them is not a good idea. Now this guy is going to court. He will be in prison for the rest of his life. He probably wanted the police to shoot him. He caused so much suffering and no problems are solved by his actions.

His mother said he was using some helpmate service. It was cancelled due to lack fo funding. I cannot find any information on it.
04-25-2018 12:37 PM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

I think we can all agree that driving a vehicle through a crowd of people is not an appropriate way to release your anger. I'm more interested in the details.

It may actually be appropriate that you can't find any information about the service he used to receive, since that's usually on a need-to-know basis. The only way I can see that being relevant to what happened is if that's what triggered the anger that led to the attack. If so, that's probably someone who needs to be kept on a short leash, metaphorically speaking. Otherwise, while it's an issue that's worthy of its own discussion, it's completely irrelevant here.

04-25-2018 12:52 PM
MM Offline
elder

There are a few reports that this person was inspired by another person who murdered several random people in a college campus.

Theses men claim to be "incels" which stands for involuntary celibates. They complain about women rejecting them and men who outcompeted them for women. I am not too sure about how connected being an "incel" is to having Asperger's. While some on the autism spectrum do choose celibacy, others do not and some are married like me.
04-26-2018 01:33 AM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

(04-26-2018 01:33 AM)MM Wrote:  There are a few reports that this person was inspired by another person who murdered several random people in a college campus.

Theses men claim to be "incels" which stands for involuntary celibates. They complain about women rejecting them and men who outcompeted them for women. I am not too sure about how connected being an "incel" is to having Asperger's. While some on the autism spectrum do choose celibacy, others do not and some are married like me.

There have always been socially dysfunctional guys who couldn't even approach women or who get rejected by women because they lack basic social skills. Guys with aspergers syndrome are significantly overrepresented among that demographic.

You identified two groups on the autism spectrum, those who choose celibacy and those who are in relationships (such as marriage). There is a third group, those who are celibate not through choice, but because they lack the skills to establish a relationship. The thing that I've noticed is that females on the spectrum tend to underestimate the problems that a lot of males on the spectrum tend to have with forming romantic and sexual relationships at all, and that males on the spectrum tend to underestimate the problems that females on the spectrum tend to have with relationships.

The problem is that now there are online communities where guys can talk about how they feel about being celibate when they don't want to be celibate. And it seems like some guys in those online communities have sociopathic tendencies and will ideate and obsess about violence.
04-26-2018 03:25 AM
MM Offline
elder

(04-26-2018 03:25 AM)142857 Wrote:  ..... identified two groups on the autism spectrum, those who choose celibacy and those who are in relationships (such as marriage). There is a third group, those who are celibate not through choice, but because they lack the skills to establish a relationship. The thing that I've noticed is that females on the spectrum tend to underestimate the problems that a lot of males on the spectrum tend to have with forming romantic and sexual relationships at all, and that males on the spectrum tend to underestimate the problems that females on the spectrum tend to have with relationships.

This could really be an interesting topic of discussion.
05-06-2018 11:56 PM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

A lot of young men on the spectrum become convinced that they will never have an intimate relationship. Negotiating all the social interactions involved can be difficult enough even for people who don't have a social disability.

What doesn't help is the bad advice and the social pressure that young men who are socially awkward tend to have imposed upon them. One of the problems is that the first time some young men in this situation find acceptance and understanding is when they encounter the incel community, which is IMO a toxic bunch of mysoginists who sometimes fantasise about violent revenge.

At the same time it is worth remembering that a woman is about a thousand times more likely to be murdered by their husband or boyfriend than by an incel. Men in relationships are objectively far more deadly than those who are not.

For ladies on the spectrum the issues seem more likely to involve being treated badly in a variety of ways by men who take advantage of their lack of social intuition. It's not something I know much about apart from what I've heard about on AFF and here and similar forums. Some guys are dirtbags who don't really care if they hurt people while getting what they want.
05-07-2018 04:49 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(05-07-2018 04:49 AM)142857 Wrote:  At the same time it is worth remembering that a woman is about a thousand times more likely to be murdered by their husband or boyfriend than by an incel. Men in relationships are objectively far more deadly than those who are not.

Not disagreeing, but to keep the conversation honest, there are far fewer incels than men in relationships. Women are certainly in more danger from husbands or boyfriends, but that doesn't necessarily mean that incels are less deadly.

05-07-2018 05:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)