Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Looking for Partners in an AFN Collaborative RPG Creation Project
Ffydwyrr Offline
Not Worth Talking To?

Looking for Partners in an AFN Collaborative RPG Creation Project
First of all, I apologize if this isn't the correct subforum for such a post, since it's more about art/writing/creating than gaming, but it could go either way. Moving on...

Does this forum have any fans of RPGs (role-playing games) from the 8 and 16-bit eras, who had or have ideas for their own games? Well, now's your chance to turn your ideas into an actual playable game, since I'd love to work with you all on an AFN collaborative game development project.

I have many fond memories of the 1990s console RPG boom, with companies such as Square and Enix releasing titles which quickly gained cult followings in Japan and elsewhere. Sadly, new games in the style of the classic RPGs aren't as common as they used to be, and I have the desire and the means to fill that void. The only problem is, I'm much better at coming up with ideas for an RPG's mechanics, visuals, and music than I am at characters and plot, which is where you all can help.

I'm not looking for anything complex with the story. Just a mildly or moderately detailed world, full of towns with problems that can be solved through heroic quests, like the first Final Fantasy or third Dragon Quest. I wish for the world itself to take center stage, and I want to give the player full control over the four members of the adventuring team, including their names and genders. They can belong to various classes (warriors, magicians, rogues, hybrids, and so on), each with a different selection of equipment and abilities.

Any ideas will be welcome, especially if you have ideas for NPCs (non-player characters), the towns/regions where they live, and the current problems they need the heroes' help with. Fantasy modifications of real-world issues such as disability rights might be interesting to build a video game around. If this game design project proves successful, I'd like to continue its story in a sequel and turn it into an ongoing series.

Some stipulations: Any game I produce would have to be in RPG Maker 2000 format. (Unfortunately, this means my games can only run on Windows PCs.) That's the only program I'm familiar with, but I have almost two decades' worth of experience in it. Also, I'm not the best at coming up with original graphics or monsters/enemies, so they'd all have to be "ripped" from existing RPGs like the ones I mentioned earlier in this post. As a result, none of my games can be sold for profit, but I personally prefer to create "labors of love" instead of using money as a motivation. Also, if we choose to make the writing humorous, I'd prefer if the humor were more situationally appropriate instead of cultural reference/meme-based, so it would better withstand the test of time. Hopefully none of you are against anything I just said.

Any takers?

I don't get it. Whatever I'm doing to try to fit in here, it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I should make peace with the fact that I'm an outsider wherever I go.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2018 05:34 PM by Ffydwyrr.)
05-01-2018 05:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

RE: Looking for Partners in an AFN Collaborative RPG Creation Project
Sounds interesting....

[Image: GJ8Hf7r.jpg]
05-02-2018 01:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ffydwyrr Offline
Not Worth Talking To?

RE: Looking for Partners in an AFN Collaborative RPG Creation Project
Two examples of the general type of game I'm envisioning:

Hero's Realm by Kentona
PROS: This game offers a fully realized world with lots of unique and often-unusual places to explore. Beautiful environmental design. A well-balanced character class system. Lots of optional content, including side quests, minigames, and secret areas. The main story is divided into chapters (much like the classic Dragon Quest 4), wherein each team of adventurers is led by a named hero with set characteristics, and the player can create the hero's three companions. In the final chapter, each of the groups from the previous chapters join forces.

CONS: Slow walking speed on the overworld map. Slow and glitchy RPG Maker 2003 combat system. (I greatly prefer 2000's simpler, menu-based one.) The writing is full of goofy humor that I personally don't care for, especially the names of certain places and people. For example, one of the countries you visit is clearly inspired by Japan, and many of its locations and local citizens are named after Dragon Ball Z characters.

If you're interested in this game, there are two complete Let's Plays on YouTube, by SonOfYoungwood and Gavaroc.

-----

Paradise Blue by Ocean's Dream
PROS: The game's Sega Master System-style throwback visuals may take some getting used to at first, but the vibrant colors and Spanish/Portuguese-style environments lend an innovative creative flair to the detailed fictional world. Also worth mentioning is the soundtrack, which is completely original as far as I know. The story is rather striking and unusual; the four silent and generic protagonists in your party are the bodyguards of an underground political resistance movement. As you progress in the game, the resistance members follow you from town to town, and you gradually learn more about individual natures, their group's purpose, and why they hired you.

CONS: Since this is another RPG Maker 2003 game, it has the same slow and glitchy combat system as Hero's Realm. English doesn't seem to be the creator's first language, so the script may be a little less than idiomatic. Oftentimes, it feels like not enough attention is being paid to the main plot and major characters, particularly at the end when all of the antagonists are introduced in rapid succession. Perhaps my least favorite part of this game is that you can only fight each battle once, giving you limited opportunities to practice your skills and gain new ones. Since this game has so many combat disciplines to train in and master, it could have been so much more fun if the enemies respawned.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any complete Let's Plays of this game, but a few people have filmed themselves playing the beginning, which can give you a pretty good idea of what the game is like. (7thlittleleopard and Zevia Games)

-----

And, of course, if you'd like to be a part of my proposed project, you can check out some of the classic RPGs that inspired me the most, if you're not already familiar with them:

Final Fantasy (the first one)
Dragon Quest 3 (AKA Dragon Warrior 3)
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 6
Dragon Quest 4 (AKA Dragon Warrior 4)
Ultima: Quest of the Avatar
Star Ocean: First Departure
Star Ocean: Second Evolution

I don't get it. Whatever I'm doing to try to fit in here, it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I should make peace with the fact that I'm an outsider wherever I go.
05-02-2018 03:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)