Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Let me ask you about this kid
MM Offline
elder

Let me ask you about this kid
I got a new nanny job. So this kid is around 6 yrs old and in a special school. This kid was crib bound until a toddler so he has vision and motor skill problems. He can kick a ball, shoot a basketball through the hoop.

He supposed to do some occupational therapy exercises which I have no idea how to get him to do. The big deal on the report they asked me to read is that he can't hold a pencil properly. So this the excuse why they don't teach the kid anything? He can't count properly to 100. He can recognize single digit numbers but not double ones. I am not sure if he knows all his letters either. He can read signs that have train station names. I am not sure that he cannot even see the letters or numbers. He is obsessed with trains. He stims to unwind. They told me that he does not have autism.

I play with this kid. We go outside to play balls, ride a bike (he can't ride a two wheel bike yet) or inside playing cards or board games.

I want to ask the parents to put a letter tracing app on his ipad and maybe find one for learning numbers. If he traces with his finger first then uses a stylis then maybe moves to marker on paper. I don't understand why the schools are so obsessed with kids having to print on paper with a pencil.
07-08-2018 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)