Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to do a time out and why?
MM Offline
elder

How to do a time out and why?
Incompetent mother told me she just tells the kid to sit on the stairs. The kid sits on the stairs to play by himself at least for a half hour at least once per day. So how is that a punishment? Not unpleasant at all.

I think time out is stand in the corner facing the wall or stand on designated place, no toys, no talking for at least 3 minutes or longer. It is supposed to be boring and the child should understand what they did wrong and what is correct behaviour. Some kids cry just because they are getting a time out.
07-29-2018 11:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Doris Mae Evans Offline
Dottie Mae Evans

RE: How to do a time out and why?
I am not sure if you use Facebook, although there is a video that explains why time-outs aren't always useful.

https://www.facebook.com/NowLetMeExplain...561355947/

From what I read about the kid you were concern about. Maybe he has a need that isn't being met. Or he is trying to express himself and he isn't sure how.

Hopefully, this video helps. Smile

"Well, what I'm saying is that there are known knowns and that there are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns; things we don't know that we don't know." - Gin Rummy (Samuel L. Jackson) from the Boondocks
08-04-2018 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
elder

I rarely used time-outs or "go to your room" with the last family I worked for (6 years). Usually I just talked to the kids about what they did wrong and the proper behaviour expected.

It also depends on the age of the child. I find positive rewards work better. Or consequences such as if you use that toy to bash your sibling then it will be taken away.

I am rather happy this mother fired me. There was no way I was going to force a child to eat "leftovers, frome their lunch etc. This kid had a ton of rage and the mother was trying to be too controlling.
08-06-2018 03:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Doris Mae Evans Offline
Dottie Mae Evans

(08-06-2018 03:07 AM)MM Wrote:  I rarely used time-outs or "go to your room" with the last family I worked for (6 years). Usually I just talked to the kids about what they did wrong and the proper behaviour expected.

It also depends on the age of the child. I find positive rewards work better. Or consequences such as if you use that toy to bash your sibling then it will be taken away.

I am rather happy this mother fired me. There was no way I was going to force a child to eat "leftovers, frome their lunch etc. This kid had a ton of rage and the mother was trying to be too controlling.

This lady has no business raising a kid or being around any minors. I hope the kiddo gets help. Sad

"Well, what I'm saying is that there are known knowns and that there are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns; things we don't know that we don't know." - Gin Rummy (Samuel L. Jackson) from the Boondocks
08-16-2018 02:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)