Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Your child is Autistic
skyblue1 Offline
Janitor Deluxe

Your child is Autistic
Step one is admitting your child has Autism

Step two is accepting that it is forever

I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.
08-28-2018 08:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

RE: Your child is Autistic
I think we might need to expand on step two. That seems to be scary for a lot of parents.

Perhaps one thing that can help is to find a community that accepts autistic people as they are, if one is available. Something where parents can learn to stop seeing their autistic children as broken and start seeing them as unique human beings with fully developed personalities.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
08-29-2018 05:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

Agree it's forever.

And parents should accept their children the way they are.

Teachers at my son's schools have told me that they want him to participate more in group sports. That he tries to avoid getting involved. The problem is they don't understand social dynamics at all among the age group they are teaching. Some autistic kids simply lack the coordination and reflexes and athleticism to keep up with their peers and they end up looking like goofballs and become targets of ridicule.

Autistic kids who have a parent who is also on the spectrum may be better off in having someone who understands what they are going through. Then again some autistic people are dicks.

Autistic people can grow and change. Or not. It's a fine line between supporting and encouraging your autistic child to be the best that they can be, and trying to change them into something they are not. The former is IMO good, the latter is bad.
08-29-2018 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
elder

Even as a young adult I was getting told that I was just immature and I needed to grow up. People were still telling me that in my 30's because I looked and acted younger.

Parents need to accept that being autistic is never going to change. They also might need to help that adult child have a plan as to how they are going to make a living. That child will grow up to be an adult who needs a place to live and some means of livelihood either a job or a pension.

Educational saving plans are a good idea as some autistic people might be able to study for a career or trade. They might also need some help after that to get work and somewhere to live independently. In some cases a person might not be able to work or live independently and that also needs some planning. Parents will all eventually die or stop being able to support an adult child if they are too sick.
08-29-2018 05:39 PM
Ana54 Offline
Make a difference, not a mess.

It's forever, and that's a good thing, no better or worse than neurotypicality being forever for some people.

I'm sentimental if you know what I mean.
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
-Leonard Cohen

My tactless tasteless timeless true international incident instigation initiative
10-05-2018 05:43 PM
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

I was told I didn't fit the athletic mold. Which is fine... sure I have clumsy traits... yet alot of spectrum cases do.

[Image: GJ8Hf7r.jpg]
10-06-2018 07:02 AM
Genesis Offline

Also I don't want my child to go through the pain I went through with a transition program after high school.

10-06-2018 07:02 AM
Ana54 Offline
Make a difference, not a mess.

Of course not. And you know not to let your child fall victim to that now, should you have a child. And I think more autistics don't have [insert any given autistic trait here] than have that trait... that includes clumsiness...

I'm sentimental if you know what I mean.
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
-Leonard Cohen

My tactless tasteless timeless true international incident instigation initiative
10-21-2018 03:05 PM
Genesis Offline

I don't want them to experience the dramacausts that happen in those settings.

I don't want them to feel they're beneath the social pyramid...

Ugh -_-

10-22-2018 01:59 AM
Grey Area Offline
(◕‿◕✿)

Step 3 is spending the rest of your life second guessing every decision your offspring makes because you equate autism with cognitive impairment and mental illness. Am I bitter? Probably lol.

There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
10-22-2018 05:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)