Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
telling the kids
skyblue1 Offline
Janitor Deluxe

telling the kids
When is the right time for parents to tell their kids that they are Autistic

I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.
09-11-2018 08:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

RE: telling the kids
I asked if I was... because when I found out, I over read the inclusion aides substitute notes.

[Image: GJ8Hf7r.jpg]
09-11-2018 02:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Genesis Offline

Further more.... if it's the right time for them to know, asking why they're so different... it's best to spill it slowly, and not over complicate.

09-11-2018 02:35 PM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

In my opinion, it should never be hidden.
09-11-2018 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
elder

Your kids should feel that you love them even though they are different, no matter that they do not achieve what other kids can.

My mother loved to talk to other people. Mostly what they talked aboit was their kids. My mother would give me long stories about all the great achievements of other people's kids. I had to wonder what my mother bragged about me or if she could at all. I always felt inferior and a failure to my parents because I never won any competitions, never got the highest grade, never was good at sports. It always seemed that even if I came home with a good math test, my mother would point out the three small mistakes I made. Having no diagnosis until I seeked for some reason why I was so different at age 21, I never told my parents. I begged the therapist who diagnosed me not to tell my parents since I though they would stop loving me.

1. Tell your kids when you feel they are ready
2. Make sure they know that you love them because they are unique and special to you
3. Make sure they know you will give them what they need and as much as you can what they desire

Really what any parent should do.
09-11-2018 09:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

I think it's valuable for kids to know why they're different and that that's okay. Once you make that step, then you can start working on turning it into a strength.

Besides, most of us have incorporated it into our identities, and I think we'll all agree that that's important.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
09-12-2018 12:03 PM
Genesis Offline

(09-11-2018 09:38 PM)142857 Wrote:  In my opinion, it should never be hidden.

Mine was hidden until 7th grade... yet back then it was traumatic finding out. Only because I didn't understand.

09-12-2018 03:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)