Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why?
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

Tongue Why?
Why do supermarkets make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front?

Why do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke?

Why do banks leave vault doors open and then chain the pens to the counters?

Why do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in our driveways and put our useless junk in the garage?

EVER WONDER...

Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin?

Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Why don't you ever see the headline 'Psychic Wins Lottery'?

Why is 'abbreviated' such a long word?

Why is it that doctors and attorneys call what they do 'practice'?

Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavoring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?

Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections?

You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff??

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?

If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 03:29 PM by d_olson27.)
10-18-2013 03:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BruceCM Offline
Post-Mad Lunatic

RE: Why?
lols!
10-18-2013 04:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
el-presidente
Unregistered

(10-18-2013 03:26 PM)d_olson27 Wrote:  Why do supermarkets make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front? Because cigarettes are often an impulse buy and these are always placed at the front of the supermarket. Also I would deny the fact that all smokers are healthy. Also not all supermarkets do this, it depends where you live, some don't even have pharmacies.

Why do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke? Because they are fat idiots in denial.

Why do banks leave vault doors open and then chain the pens to the counters? This is ridiculous. Banks these days do not have big visible open vaults and they have all kinds of security to prevent you getting anywhere near them. The pens however are out in the open and easy for people to even inadvertently take so they are chained down.

Why do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in our driveways and put our useless junk in the garage? Cars are waterproof and have security measures enabling them to be left outside relatively safely. ‘Junk’ must be kept out of the weather, is easily stolen and is preferably kept out of sight, the garage is perfect for this.

EVER WONDER...

Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin? Visible hair is dead and its pigments can't be changed so the UV light bleaches it. Living skin reacts to damage from the UV by producing extra melanin.

Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed? Because that face stretches their skin and makes the makeup easier to apply. There are other reasons too and some women can do it with their mouth shut. My sister does.

Why don't you ever see the headline 'Psychic Wins Lottery'? [b]Because psychics are charlatans.

Why is 'abbreviated' such a long word? Because it isn't an abbreviation.

Why is it that doctors and attorneys call what they do 'practice'? Because it is a noun, it is their 'practice' they are not 'practise' -ing which is the verb this question refers to.

Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavoring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons? This is just stupid. How do you define 'lemon juice'? If it is juice from a lemon then it is natural and made from real lemons. As for washing up liquid it may contain extracts from real lemons.

Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? Because it refers to a 'brokerage firm' that acts as a third party in financial transactions, not the slang word for having no money.

Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour? Because everyone is trying to rush to work or rush home, the volume of people makes the traffic slow down.

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food? This is just silly, who is going to go to the trouble of tasting mice then recreating that flavour in cat food, the expense would make no business sense. Alternatively I am sure that meat production of mice for pet food is not financially viable.

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes? Because the story of the flood is a myth.

Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections? Needles come sterile these days pre-packed and are disposable for hygiene reasons.

You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?? Because the plane would be too heavy to take off and to make a large structure with such physical integrity is much more difficult than a small structure.

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains? Because they produce a grease called lanolin that waterproofs their wool and their bodies don't shrink anyway, that is just stupid.

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together? Because the word comes from the latin word 'appartare' which means to separate. It refers to a large building separated into various dwellings.

If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal? Because it derives from the latin word 'terminus' referring to an end or boundary. IE the end of your journey. It was first used to refer to stations on a railway line then transferred to airports.

With apologies to d_olson, I couldn't help myself. Meant in the best of humour.

[Image: TrollDadTopHatBlackSS.png&h=500&...mp;amp;ct=]
10-18-2013 06:09 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Some_Bloke
Unregistered

Why Mr Anderson?
10-18-2013 06:52 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

On the subject of mascara, surely the more apposite question is 'Why can't women leave the house without first putting slime all over their faces?'

Equally, 'Why do people throw away milk that's gone off, then go to the shops and buy cheese and yoghurt?'

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 09:16 PM by Luke Mauser.)
10-18-2013 09:15 PM
skyblue1 Offline
Janitor Deluxe

nice thread

I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.
10-18-2013 09:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(10-18-2013 06:09 PM)el-presidente Wrote:  With apologies to d_olson, I couldn't help myself. Meant in the best of humour.

Then I'm sure you won't ming me doing the same. Smile

(10-18-2013 06:09 PM)el-presidente Wrote:  
(10-18-2013 03:26 PM)d_olson27 Wrote:  Why do supermarkets make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front? Because cigarettes are often an impulse buy and these are always placed at the front of the supermarket. Also I would deny the fact that all smokers are healthy. Also not all supermarkets do this, it depends where you live, some don't even have pharmacies.

Of all the stores I've seen that have pharmacies, they've always been at the back. I also disagree that cigarettes are an impulse purchase. People buy them to feed an addiction.

Why do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke? Because they are fat idiots in denial.

Big Grin

Why do banks leave vault doors open and then chain the pens to the counters? This is ridiculous. Banks these days do not have big visible open vaults and they have all kinds of security to prevent you getting anywhere near them. The pens however are out in the open and easy for people to even inadvertently take so they are chained down.

Actually, they do have big, visible, open vaults. At least in the US. Yes, they do have security to keep you from getting near them, though.

Why do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in our driveways and put our useless junk in the garage? Cars are waterproof and have security measures enabling them to be left outside relatively safely. ‘Junk’ must be kept out of the weather, is easily stolen and is preferably kept out of sight, the garage is perfect for this.

True. I can't really argue that.

EVER WONDER...

Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin? Visible hair is dead and its pigments can't be changed so the UV light bleaches it. Living skin reacts to damage from the UV by producing extra melanin.

Can't argue that either.

Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed? Because that face stretches their skin and makes the makeup easier to apply. There are other reasons too and some women can do it with their mouth shut. My sister does.

True, but that doesn't negate the fact that it looks funny.

Why don't you ever see the headline 'Psychic Wins Lottery'? [b]Because psychics are charlatans.

That's the point. You'd think if they actually could tell the future, one of them would put that skill to use.

Why is 'abbreviated' such a long word? Because it isn't an abbreviation.

Doesn't really do what it says, though. I guess you could say it kind of does, because I do kind of want to abbrv. it

Why is it that doctors and attorneys call what they do 'practice'? Because it is a noun, it is their 'practice' they are not 'practise' -ing which is the verb this question refers to.

Word game. It doesn't instil a lot of confidence when you think about it.

Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavoring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons? This is just stupid. How do you define 'lemon juice'? If it is juice from a lemon then it is natural and made from real lemons. As for washing up liquid it may contain extracts from real lemons.

If you look at the label on a bottle of lemon juice (again, in the US), it usually says that it's made with artificial flavors. Yes, it's stupid, but that's how it is.

Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? Because it refers to a 'brokerage firm' that acts as a third party in financial transactions, not the slang word for having no money.

And why is the firm called a brokerage? It's another thing that doesn't really instil much confidence.

Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour? Because everyone is trying to rush to work or rush home, the volume of people makes the traffic slow down.

Of course, trying and doing are two different things.

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food? This is just silly, who is going to go to the trouble of tasting mice then recreating that flavour in cat food, the expense would make no business sense. Alternatively I am sure that meat production of mice for pet food is not financially viable.

I'm not so sure meat production wouldn't be financially viable. Mice are much cheaper and easier to raise than, for example, cattle.

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes? Because the story of the flood is a myth.

If we take it is fact (a lot of people do), why didn't he? Those things are annoying and don't seem to serve much purpose. Then again, there are a lot of things about that story that don't make sense when you think about it.

Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections? Needles come sterile these days pre-packed and are disposable for hygiene reasons.

You might not know, but there actually is a law in some states that you actually have to sterilize the needle for a lethal injection. It doesn't say to use a sterile needle. It states that you have to take the action of sterilizing it.

You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?? Because the plane would be too heavy to take off and to make a large structure with such physical integrity is much more difficult than a small structure.

Well, that and part of what makes that box indestructible is the size and structure.

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains? Because they produce a grease called lanolin that waterproofs their wool and their bodies don't shrink anyway, that is just stupid.

Next question, why don't we coat sweaters in lanolin?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together? Because the word comes from the latin word 'appartare' which means to separate. It refers to a large building separated into various dwellings.

I have to say I did not know that.

If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal? Because it derives from the latin word 'terminus' referring to an end or boundary. IE the end of your journey. It was first used to refer to stations on a railway line then transferred to airports.

Yeah, I thought that one was kind of weak too.

And one last note, I didn't write them. It was just an email that I thought was funny.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Smile

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2013 12:44 PM by d_olson27.)
10-19-2013 12:43 PM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

(10-19-2013 12:43 PM)d_olson27 Wrote:  Why don't you ever see the headline 'Psychic Wins Lottery'? Because psychics are charlatans.

That's the point. You'd think if they actually could tell the future, one of them would put that skill to use.

*** My aunt is a psychic. My best friend's girlfriend is a very famous and financially successful psychic who has written a number of books (and successfully decoded Some_Bloke's dream). Neither is a charlatan. I seriously doubt that there is anything remotely supernatural about what they do but they are insightful at a level that most of us couldn't even imagine. ***

I'm not so sure meat production wouldn't be financially viable. Mice are much cheaper and easier to raise than, for example, cattle.

***When I lived in Jakarta there was a massive scandal where it emerged that a lot of the meat in bakso (meat ball) soup was rat, and they secretly filmed some bakso vendors butchering rats. So obviously rat meat is a lot cheaper than beef. In Thailand rat is eaten by millions of people, and in China mice are a traditional food source. ***
10-19-2013 06:51 PM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

Why is it that if you transport stuff by ship, it's called a cargo, but if it actually goes by car it's called a shipment?

History is the lies of the victors coupled with the delusions of the defeated. It is an imagined certainty created at the point where the imperfection of memory meets the inadequacy of documentation.
10-19-2013 11:34 PM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

Why is the UK government telling us that privatizing Royal Mail will lead to lower prices, in the same week that everyone's complaining about extortionate price rises imposed by the privatised gas and electricity companies?

10-20-2013 07:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)