Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Hello World!
This is a sample MyBB Plugin (which can be disabled!) that displays this message on all pages.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Digital Identity
MM Offline
elder

Digital Identity
Hello world!

Governments want to institute a digital identity for all citizens. This would be required for every financial transaction, using any government service and the internet.

When this happens then I have to quit using this forum and really stop using the internet to look at any content that is any way controversial. Everything would be tracked and monitored.

Financial assets and jobs could be frozen or lost if anyone dared oppose.
02-27-2022 12:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skyblue1 Offline
Administrator

RE: Digital Identity
Hello world!

Since only a couple of members post. Probably that wont be necessary

I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.
03-01-2022 01:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
qwerty Offline
elder

Hello world!

Everything is kind of already tracked and monitored. The computer you use probably has a unique identifier that allow every website to identify you are using the same computer, even if it's something like a laptop that connects indifferent locations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canvas_fingerprinting

amIunique.org/

I found out about this because my only internet is unlimited data, limited tethering on my phone. I wanted to be able to use my data for whatever I wanted, not as my cell phone company wanted. I ended up finding about all kinds of tracking. I switched from google chrome to firefox and enabling the "resistfingerprinting" option in firefox's "about:config". Now I am still unique, but only in the way someone who has no information available stands out. I am getting lots of privacy notices from places now like "you logged in from a new location, which is unknown location, please confirm if it's you" because the websites cannot tell what computer I'm using or where I'm located.

I'm also using a VPN, which encrypts your communications to the VPN provider so that the ISP cannot see it (though the VPN provider now has access to everything instead), then your traffic is routed out of the VPN to the internet like normal (encrypted). My cell phone company can see I'm connecting to the VPN on my phone, but they cannot see what I am doing or if I am tethering. I'm getting similar speeds to if I had cable internet. I also enabled encrypted DNS requests (websites have an IP address associated with a letter address and DNS server translates the text to an IP address), default to https (this forum has not https apparently), and may try to set up an "SOCKS tunnel" to encrypt my traffic so that the VPN cannot see it. I don't want to use TOR because it's too slow.

My computer currently cannot run linux (restrictions by Apple, as it's an apple computer), but I am also trying to do things in a linux virtual machine and set up a third party fire wall to block apple servers as well as blocking some apple communications in my hosts file.

I would rather not worry about all this, but I'm glad I learned this information.

I agree this forum is probably low risk.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022 06:34 AM by qwerty.)
03-01-2022 06:33 AM
skyblue1 Offline
Administrator

Hello world!

I'm using an Apple beta icloud thing that changes my ip address to something different also my address is never my true location

03-01-2022 07:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skyblue1 Offline
Administrator

Hello world!

I don't have anything like that on my computers I dont use my computers much and the authorities can check me out anytime I don't care. should probably hook up to a VPN anyway

03-01-2022 07:06 AM
skyblue1 Offline
Administrator

Hello world!

And I am hoping this doesn't happen in the US even though I have read that our Congress is attempting to come up with something similar

Big Brother is a danger to us all I guess

Thanks to MM for bringing this up

03-01-2022 07:09 AM
qwerty Offline
elder

Hello world!

The average person probably shouldn't use a VPN, as it involves hiding your information your ISP by giving it to a less regulated, less legally responsible third party. This can be good since for instance the VPN provider is not required to log you and the VPN provider cannot turn over logs that they do not have, but since they're unregulated you basically are just trusting them (eg, how do you know they actually don't have logs? if they do have them, how do you know they aren't selling them?). even if they're trustworthy now, they might not always be. It was in the news recently that sketchy company known for adware bought a bunch of VPN providers, probably not with the intention of guarding privacy. Mozilla VPN and Proton VPN seem to be the most trusted now, though I picked a cheaper one known for being fast.

The average person is probably okay switching to firefox, enabling the strict privacy setting, and enabling the https only in all windows setting. HTTPS is a kind of encrypted connection and with this setting you will always default to HTTPS and get a notice if a website doesn't have it, meaning you are being reminded the information isn't private. Firefox also defaults to encrypting DNS, so combined with HTTPS that gives a reasonable degree of privacy, as what website you are using and your data on that website are both encrypted. But VPN is good for hiding from your ISP and hiding your IP address on the system level, if those are things you need to do for some reason, but we are not really being tracked by our IP address anymore anyway as there are now more sophisticated methods like canvass fingerprinting.

I got a VPN because my ISP was restricting how I use my data and a VPN with a third party tethering phone application is the easiest reliable way to bypass that. Otherwise I would probably stick to other methods, though they can be combined with the VPN to good effect.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022 01:25 PM by qwerty.)
03-01-2022 01:19 PM
MM Offline
elder

Hello world!

In Canada some people who gave money to the trucker protest got their accounts frozen. The government actually ordered that. Before that happened, it was not illegal to send money to their cause. There were gofundme accounts. One of the arrested was charged with “mischief” but all her bank accounts were frozen.

The government also seized people’s truck, assets, pets, children. They were told that if their pets were taken (while they could be detained) then they had 8 days to claim them or they would be killed. This is what I find most disturbing.

Personally I find the trucker protest really too extreme in blocking roads for weeks. They finally sent in the police riot squad. Some old lady with a walker was trampled by police horses but the news reported it as a rebel threw a “bike” at the police horse.

So basically this: if you have the “wrong” opinion and put it on the internet, then you could lose your job, all your assets and basically starve. And people who claim they are experiencing gang-stalking are called crazy but the government thinks it is ok to do this.

It used to be that the internet was a safe place to anonymously explore ideas, discuss and debate with few consequences other than getting “flamed” or banned by a moderator.
03-03-2022 06:31 AM
skyblue1 Offline
Administrator

Hello world!

Hard for me to accept that the Canadian government would do stuff like that. I always thought of it as a good government , that was people friendly

Hate this is happening

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2022 07:49 AM by skyblue1.)
03-03-2022 07:49 AM
boehm Online
Super Moderator

Hello world!

That strike really put the hurt on some American businesses. Especially auto plants.

Always speak your mind, even if your voice shakes.
03-03-2022 07:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)