Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rate the Last Movie U Watched
HammerBioLizard Offline
King of the Wild Things

RE: Rate the Last Movie U Watched
It's Such a Beautiful Day: 9/10

It's not the last movie I just watched but whatever.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/We...autifulDay

It's a beautiful film about one man's struggle with depression. I highly recommend it.

"No one can construct for you the bridge upon which precisely you must cross the stream of life, no one but you yourself alone."
- Nietzsche
10-29-2017 10:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

Children of the Corn

2009 TV remake of the poor mid-80s film derived from Stephen King's short story.

From what I remember of the earlier film, the new version is better, but still has some grating shortcomings (script, children who can't act, etc.)

Entertaining but far from a classic.

No attempts at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my hear a deep and burning hatred for the Tory Party … So far as I am concerned, they are lower than vermin.

Aneurin Bevan
10-29-2017 07:21 PM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

I really liked the original Children of the Corn. I saw it not long after it became available on video.

The movie developed a cult following and 7 sequels were made. 6 of those went straight to video. And, like the original, they were low budget movies. So they didn't need big box office numbers to turn a profit (obviously, since they kept making them).

I never saw any of the sequels. I never even knew there were any sequels.
10-30-2017 06:10 PM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

When a Stranger Calls.

A game of two halves. The first hour is an excellent Hitchcockian exercise in tension. After that, there's a huge plot hole which is required for the climax, so huge minus points for that.

I'll explain. A girl is babysitting for two young kids. She gets creepy phone calls and eventually works out they are coming from inside the house. So she goes to the kids' room to get them to safety. Inexplicably they are hiding in the toy box. Why? There is no reason for that. If the intruder had found them, they'd be dead. If he hadn't, they wouldn't know he was in the house and they'd still be in bed.

THE PLOT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!!

No attempts at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my hear a deep and burning hatred for the Tory Party … So far as I am concerned, they are lower than vermin.

Aneurin Bevan
10-31-2017 04:06 AM
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

The original When A Stranger Calls was based on an urban legend. And the children didn't hide in a toy box, they met a very grisly end.
10-31-2017 12:06 PM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

^ Yep, I read about that. This was the remake from a few years ago. The entire film is an expansion of the opening twenty minutes of the original movie.

Aneurin Bevan
11-08-2017 09:49 PM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

Urban Legend

Weak horror with a ludicrous premise.

A woman whose fiancé was killed in a car crash sets out to kill those responsible. Yeah, cos you'd do that by hiding in the back of their car and attacking them while they're driving at speed along a highway, cos that's not going to get you killed as well.

Aneurin Bevan
11-11-2017 04:47 AM
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

Paris When It Sizzles

An screenwriter (William Holden) hires an assistant (Audrey Hepburn) to help him write a film script ("The Girl Who Stole the Eiffel Tower") to meet a tight deadline. As they start with no fixed premise, the plot of the film (which unfolds in front of us as a parallel drama) veers all over the place stylistically, embraces espionage thriller, teen comedy, horror, slapstick and romance. Meanwhile, romance blossoms between our protagonists as they grapple with the script.

The premise is better than the execution. Mostly a series of weak parodies of cinema cliches. Hepburn is predictably stunning, the slapstick is predictably cringeworthy, and Tony Curtis's incompetent cop provides a blueprint for Frank Drebin. The witty moments do not stop the whole thing seeming like an over-long mess.

Aneurin Bevan
11-11-2017 08:33 PM
Genesis Offline
Globetrotter; The Blogger

Your Name 9.8/10

Night Owl Redux
11-18-2017 05:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luke Mauser Offline
Resident rebel

Creep

Average horror. A young woman miss the last train on the London Underground one night, and is locked in at the station. She and the other people she meets (a homeless couple, a work colleague, a sewer worker, etc.) are then pursued by a humanoid creature with homicidal intentions.

Suitably entertaining despite a number of unexplained improbabilities (she sleeps through the sound of the train arriving and departing right in front of her, the creature has somehow assembled loads of hospital equipment in the station with no-one noticing, as well as having constructed a system of cages despite having no evident intellect or dexterity).

Some of this was filmed in the disused Aldwych Underground Station. I actually used this station as a teenager in the last few weeks of its being open!

Aneurin Bevan
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 07:54 PM by Luke Mauser.)
Yesterday 07:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)